Asics running shoes replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've taking up running a few years back to improve my health etc, and really started liking Asics for their comfort. Now my fourth pair which i got for christmas last year has worn out premature. I called asics and was sent a form to fill out and now i wait. Has anyone else done this and received shoes as compensation? Or am i going to be told "they wear out they're shoes".

If they wore out recently and you run a lot, I'd say getting 10 months or so out of a pair of running shoes is pretty good.
A coworker of mine ran most days at lunchtime and he got new shoes about every 6 weeks...this was usually due to the cushioning going bad and causing him to get shin splints, not due to sole wear, though.
I run on a treadmill ~2 nights a week and replace my dedicated shoes for that activity about every 6-9 months, also due to pain rather than visible wear. I was feeling almost crippled after running a few years ago and it finally hit me that my running shoes were over a year old, bought new ones and felt great. I have a hard time throwing away shoes that still have decent soles and have a lot of pairs of Nikes laying around my house and condo "just in case".

My size 13 feet are quite narrow (maybe a B width?) and Nikes work well for me, tried some Saucony runners some time ago and ended up being very uncomfortable in those. I do have some ASIC trail runners that I wear just around the yard, they are fine for just walking and a lot cheaper than comparable Nike trail shoes with removable inserts (needed due to my crazy high arches).

Originally Posted By: 97prizm
Hi all,

I've taking up running a few years back to improve my health etc, and really started liking Asics for their comfort. Now my fourth pair which i got for christmas last year has worn out premature. I called asics and was sent a form to fill out and now i wait. Has anyone else done this and received shoes as compensation? Or am i going to be told "they wear out they're shoes".

Should have gotten the ones with the 700 UTOG!

I am partial to Brooks running shoes, and have always heard you only get about 250-350 miles on running shoes, not an average time length.

Im sure the materials break down after years and years, but like a tire they will only take so much pounding.

Perhaps you run more these days and wear them out faster?

cheers!

I've read that running shoes are designed for 300 miles or so before the cushioning and support breaks down. I rotate 2 pairs and do keep track. Seems about right when you go from 300 mile shoe to a new even of the same model you can feel the better cushioning in the new one.

So I'd say a year of use is about right for any running shoe. I've run in Nike, Reebok, Asics, Saucony, and Brooks and that seems to hold true for all of them.

Which model did you have a problem with? My last pair of Nimbus 17 have had the rubber on the sole wear quicker than usual but the upper and foot bed have held up better than my last 2 pairs of Nimbus 13.

I've found that with the Nimbus models I can wear them well past when they would be considered worn out to the point where the upper is trashed and they are still pretty comfortable. This was not really the case with the pair of cumulus that I had.

Unless you're only averaging less than a mile a day or so, if you got 10 months out of them, they didn't wear out prematurely. Especially if you wore them just "walking around" also. Once you see a pattern on wear on the bottom of the outsole or the midsole starting to wrinkle or collapse, its time to look for a replacement. New Balance 990 (made in USA from USA materials) are expensive but very durable and comfortable. Asics might do a one time "good will" replacement. Asics used to be my brand, but they seem to have gone downhill in the last few years.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
97prizm said:
Should have gotten the ones with the 700 UTOG!

Well played, sir.
Following this as my current runners are shot only after a year. I got a set of insoles just today to make them last through December hopefully.

Should I splurge on a pair of Hoka's? Anyone know about those?

i think a lot of runners (as well as fancy dress shoe folks) use multiple pairs and alternate their use to maximize the longevity of the nonwear portions. steph curry is known to change shoes every quarter.

different people run differently and will wearout shoes differently based on their biomechanics.

for the op how did your shoes wear out.

Last edited:
I went on a major weight loss adventure starting in May 2015 which began with two pairs of Nimbus 16's (size 12.5 4E) expanding to 5 pairs of 16's and two pairs of 17's. Currently, I have 3 pairs of 18's and 3 pairs of 19's.

Since then, I have done more than 3,000 miles and I average about 175 to 225 miles per pair before they wear out. There are many factors to consider regarding wear though. ASICS have been the best shoes for me and fit/wear well.

I find that it is very necessary to have multiple pairs and alternate them daily to extend the life by allowing them to dry out between runs.

It wasn't the bottom that wore prematurely but the mesh netting over the toes that wore a hole. None of my previous Asics did this.

I had a pair of Asics that I really liked, but the bottom rubber started to rip off, forcing me to trash em. Not sure how many miles I put on them, but I didn't use them all too often. They'd kind of hurt to just walk around in, but felt great to run in.

It's sad about Asics lately. I was always in favor of their shoes, but recently they've become "thin" and kinda cheap. Not to mention they won't fit well at all! The reviews were negative, I just thought they were trolls for another company. nope. Asics sizes are not true to size anymore.

I did try Nike, crazy I know, they usually never fit. But they've changed their shoe "last" and they really fit! Just my $0.02

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch

Should I splurge on a pair of Hoka's? Anyone know about those?

I tried on a pair of them. The concept is sound but I want some road feel.

I was an Asics guy too, they stopped making their Gel-Foundation series for severe overpronators. I currently run in Nike Lunarglide 9s, not as supportive as the Asics and it could use some more forefoot cushioning but so far so good.

I have Nike Lunarglides now and Asics prior with my flat feet. I run 16-20 miles a week and shoes last me about 3 months. I say after 10 months of use you got your money worth.

It wasn't the bottom that wore prematurely but the mesh netting over the toes that wore a hole. None of my previous Asics did this.
I've been wearing Asics for running since I discovered them c. the early 90s. Invariably it's the mesh on the uppers that fails first on mine.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
I've been wearing Asics for running since I discovered them c. the early 90s. Invariably it's the mesh on the uppers that fails first on mine.

I blow through the tops of Asics in short order, like 4-6 months just walking. I have narrow "low volume" feet and can't get shoes narrow enough to fit except Asics...any other brands available in narrow widths?

Smoky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back