Redline Professional-Series 5W40 Motor Oil - LL-01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id stick with what BMW recommends until out of warranty, you know they look for any reason to say no to warranty work and make it cash.

Since we now have ULSG, does a '17 carstill need LL01 vs LL04?

Looks like it is factory approved fwiw. But NOACK seems quite high. Id rather try for something in the 6-8%.

Originally Posted By: hellokitty
Hey guys,

I was just browsing Redline oil's website and noticed there appears to be a new product which appears to be BMW LL-01 approved/certified.

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=154&pcid=21

Can you guys comment on the specs as well as whether you have any experience with it? I am thinking of running this in my '17 M3.

Thanks.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

If this product is really is explicitly approved by BMW as Red Line claims, and if LL-01 is what your engine specs (I'm not familiar with the spec fro the F8x M3), go ahead and use it if you want. Impossible to say if there will be any benefit over any other oil approved for the same spec, many of which will be much less expensive. But it's probably fine.

Originally Posted By: Audios
Id stick with what BMW recommends until out of warranty, you know they look for any reason to say no to warranty work and make it cash.

If the oil carries the LL-01 spec, then it is approved.

"Factory-approved for BMW LL-01, VW-Audi 502.00/505.00, Porsche A40 API SN, ACEA A3/B4-12" would seem to indicate they actually got approvals for this oil. Interesting. That is what makes it "Professional".

I'd run the BMW oil at least while you are under warranty. Anyway, you should get a free oil change every 10k miles or one year- I'd let BMW NA pay for it.

It seems to me Redline is moving away from their “ester-based” roots. SDS link.

https://w3apps.phillips66.com/NetMSDS/ViewPDF.aspx?fileName=830999&Language=EN&IssueDate=7%2f11%2f2016&SubFormat=USDS

Scott

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I'd run the BMW oil at least while you are under warranty. Anyway, you should get a free oil change every 10k miles or one year- I'd let BMW NA pay for it.

Agree with this. OP I have an F80 M3 as well and have been running the BMW branded 0w30 in it. I do an intermediate change myself with the same 0w30 and let the dealership do the scheduled maintenance. Your user manual likely calls for 0w30 (with 5w30 as an alternate) so not sure why you want want to go with a 5w40, especially one on the heavier side like redline tends to run. I dont think you will see any benefits from running this oil, only slightly longer warm up time and reduced gas mileage.

The grade is irrelevant, as long as it meets the required specification then it will have the appropriate HTHS. In this case I believe the car specifies Longlife-01 or Longlife-01 FE so either one is acceptable. If the Redline actually carries the specification then there is no reason not to use it other than price. Castrol 0W-40 at Walmart is a lot less expensive and carries the same specification as the Redline oil.

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky
The Redline website also doesn't show a price for items anymore, so apparently direct-order is no longer an option.

Not sure what you're seeing, but when I drill down to a specific oil, the biggest thing on the screen is the price and an "Add to Cart" button.

Well, it was missing.
But now, the site is completely changed. Missing price must have been part of the rollout of the new website.
Looks like they are still tweaking things. This is what I get after looking up any of my vehicles.
21.gif

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back