2017 RAV 4 OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought my wife a 2017 RAV 4 and I am getting to the age where I am going to be completely hands off. All maintenance will be done at the dealer. That being said, first oil change is suppose to be at 10,000 miles, or one year ! My "oil disease" makes me shake and sweat, can it go one year or 10 k on factory fill?
21.gif
I am assuming they use synthetic , as manual calls for 0w20???

It can, but do you want to?
wink.gif

Personally I wouldn't. I would dump it after a few thousand miles, then run a few short 6K mile runs then do what you feel is best from there.

Last edited:
I would change at the first 5000 miles, just the fact that you think about it, why not. Even in your owners manual it lists 5000 miles changes under severe conditions, I think the first 5000 miles on any vehicle is severe.

Will it matter? most likely not.

Me, personally, I wouldnt go further then the first 5000 miles no matter what anyone tells me and the manual backs up 5000 mile changes under certain conditions so there is nothing wrong with it if you want to take it to a higher level for the first 5000 miles vs the 10,000.
I do think after the first change I would decide if I go the full 10,000 miles, which I may or may not, depending on how much the car is driven or 2 times a year..

Click to see your manual, its on page 39/66

Last edited:
Well now that I posted this, I think and her trip to work is short, about 2 miles, X 4 trips per day ! We live on a dirt road, so under those 2 things alone, going to follow the "severe" guide. Some times I need to post to show how really stupid and non-analytical I am !

Last edited:
I always dump factory fill at around 3,000. Then follow the severe OCI (usually around 3,750 miles) for two oil changes. That puts me close to 10K. From there, usually 5 to 6 thousand mile OCI with whatever stash I can get on sale (synthetic.) I do use semi-synthetic in my wife's car sometimes. This scheme has always worked well for me.

I just experienced this on 17 Sienna.
First change was at around 1200 miles, then 5000 miles.
I am waiting to get to 10000 miles for the stealership to change it.

First how long do you keep you vehicles? Seems like a while. I would do an early first change then using a syn oil 10,000 1 year is easy.

I would commit to be as hands off as you said and go by the recommendations. Normally that would be 10 k but for your wife's driving habits I would pay for the halfway oilchange at 5k or 6 months. My wife does a lot of short trips but also a lot of country road and highway, we also off-road our Toyotas and we ride out a year in each of our 4 runners.

Last edited:
What's the dummy light set to on these new gen Rav's?

Our 4.3 gen's dash light blinks at ignition, then goes steady at 5k for maintenance regardless. Toyota used the 5k programming for quite a while. My 07 4Runner does the same.

I run them both closer towards 7k, but if you suspect you'll be warranty'ing anything in the future, play it by the book to save yourself a headache.

On our '14 RAV I changed FF at 5K and let them do the 10K & 15K (since the 24 months came before 20K). I changed at 25K and the oil was so clean I should find something else to dump it in. Good little car, your '17 addressed the ride and road noise complaints of the 13-15 MYs.

Wait until cars drive themselves. Then they'll let them selves out of the Garage in the middle of the night to go in and get serviced. A few weeks later you'll get your Visa bill with your unknown $800 service call and new software upload.

I've got a '15 RAV4 for the GF. I DIY changed at 5k and the oil and filter looked great (refilled with TGMO 0W-20). The dealer did the 10k and I'm convinced did not use synth. I was going to go to 20k but got nervous at 15k and did another DIY. The oil looked like well used dino in my opinion and the filter housing was drastically overtightened. At least I know they went in there.
Dealer change again at 20k after being reassured they use TGMO synth. Still looked fishy to me so I did another DIY at 25k and will now do 7.5-10k intervals depending on use and outside weather. I'd rather change early than freeze in the middle of Winter. I'm almost at 30k and the oil looks/smells/feels much better than the dealer stuff.
I've got the startup rattle so we may not keep this car too long. Depends on what the 6th gen 4Runner looks like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1000MPH
I've got a '15 RAV4 for the GF. I DIY changed at 5k and the oil and filter looked great (refilled with TGMO 0W-20). The dealer did the 10k and I'm convinced did not use synth. I was going to go to 20k but got nervous at 15k and did another DIY. The oil looked like well used dino in my opinion and the filter housing was drastically overtightened. At least I know they went in there.
Dealer change again at 20k after being reassured they use TGMO synth. Still looked fishy to me so I did another DIY at 25k and will now do 7.5-10k intervals depending on use and outside weather. I'd rather change early than freeze in the middle of Winter. I'm almost at 30k and the oil looks/smells/feels much better than the dealer stuff.
I've got the startup rattle so we may not keep this car too long. Depends on what the 6th gen 4Runner looks like.

When you DIY you can believe the guy did it right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back