Elf evolution nf900 - aircooled suitability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

I'm new here and looking for feedback on the Elf oil linked below. I'm looking to confirm suitability with a 1987 911 Carrera (aircooled) which is currently undergoing a complete engine rebuild including new crank, cams, rocker arms..

http://catalog.elf.com/gallery/ORIGINALS/visuels/3000/3196

https://www.nielsencdg.co.uk/acatalog/EL...872.html#SID=28

I will complete circa 3k miles of fast road use per year, unlikely to see any track action.

The elf customer service team confirmed Zddp levels are good at 1200-1250 ppm but unsure what other criteria I should base the decision on?

I'm UK based and have access to a number of European oils including Millers, Mobil, Motul etc however this elf oil is cheap (£17/5litres), Porsche A40 rated, and has good levels of zddp.

Thanks in advance
Shirish

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

I'm sure this will be a decent oil as it meets some fairly tough specs (VW 505, MB 229.3). However, I might prefer 10W-40 viscosity (should be more shear-stable) and a higher flash point. There are also much tougher specs out there (e.g. VW 508/509, MB 229.5).

How did you arrive at this oil? Was it recommended to you for this application, or are you working with someone who focuses on a limited range of products?

Air cooled engines place different demands on the motor oil, especially in the head where temps are higher.

If I had an air cooled Porsche I'd buy Porsche's OEM oil:

here

That way you know you're getting a product especially engineered for use case.

Regards
Jordan

porsche-normal.jpg

I'm not sure about the ZDDP level, 1200-1250 seem high for this oil.

I always thought this Elf oil was just the Total Quartz 9000 rebranded, but maybe I'm wrong.

http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/5990-total-quartz-9000-5w-40-svezhee/

Have you considered Motul 4100 15W50? There's a VOA in the voa forum, looks pretty good. But it's a 50 grade, so probably not what you want.

Edit : According to VOA I've seen here, Porsche oils don't seem to have that much ZDDP

Thanks all

In my naivety I purely arrived at this oil based on A40 approval and ZDDP content - I have also used this on 2 oil changes on my 1989 Mercedes 560sec and the difference in valve train noise and general smoothness was stark compared to the PO/garage's preference of Castrol Magnatec 10w40 - the Elf oil wins hands down.

I've not considered a /50 as my reading for UK climates suggests it's overkill and potentially will create uneccessary drag, especially for a road car. Saying that, for the first 1000 miles and possibly the first 12m of warranty post rebuild I will use whatever the engine builder uses which is Valvoline VR1 20w50. My prior experience with 15w/50 Motul 300v and switching to Millers Nanodrive NT 5w40 introduced a pleasing zip to acceleration and slightly lower engine temps.

I may return to the Millers but wondering if the Elf oil will provide all I need for 30% of the cost. The build is costing north of £15k so don't want to use a 'lesser' oil for the sake of cost.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
I'm not sure about the ZDDP level, 1200-1250 seem high for this oil.

I always thought this Elf oil was just the Total Quartz 9000 rebranded, but maybe I'm wrong.

http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/5990-total-quartz-9000-5w-40-svezhee/

Have you considered Motul 4100 15W50? There's a VOA in the voa forum, looks pretty good. But it's a 50 grade, so probably not what you want.

Edit : According to VOA I've seen here, Porsche oils don't seem to have that much ZDDP

I'm thinking the Elf oil is the same as the Total Classic 5w40:

http://catalog.lubricants.total.com/gallery/ORIGINALS/visuels/3500/3687

Originally Posted By: JFAllen
Air cooled engines place different demands on the motor oil, especially in the head where temps are higher.

If I had an air cooled Porsche I'd buy Porsche's OEM oil:

here

That way you know you're getting a product especially engineered for use case.

Regards
Jordan

porsche-normal.jpg

Good call IMO.
thumbsup2.gif

You still have the option of Motul 300V in 5W40 or 10W40. Considering the cost of the rebuilt, better safe than sorry.
Valvoline VR1 or the Porsche 20W50 oil, pretty close.

I've never seen this Total 5W40 "classic", but since it's API SL, it might effectively get around 1200ppm ZDDP.
(to me looks like an old formula rebranded)

Would that explain why it's an old ACEA spec 2007: A3/B4. Given that ACEA specs are self certified it must mean it doesn't meet the later versions of A3/B4. On a newer car that would bother me.

You still have the option of Motul 300V in 5W40 or 10W40. Considering the cost of the rebuilt, better safe than sorry.
Valvoline VR1 or the Porsche 20W50 oil, pretty close.

I've never seen this Total 5W40 "classic", but since it's API SL, it might effectively get around 1200ppm ZDDP.
which of the 2 Motul oils would you recommend ?

Any of them
smile.gif

The 10W40 being probably more shear resistant, and 10W more than good enough for UK climate.

If you want something a little bit thicker, Total Quartz 10W50 is also to be considered http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/22881-total-quartz-racing-10w-50-svezhee/

Thank you - I actually have 10litres of the Total Quartz 10w/50 at home, its relatively cheap at the vendor in my first post at £25/5litres. I hesitated using it due to the slightly lower zddp than the Elf oil and my uncertainty re using a /50.

My concern for using a 5w-40 weight oil would be based upon the engine rebuilder's rec of 20w-50 oil. Possibly consider Mobil 1 15w-50, or a syn HDEO in 15w-40 weight (very difficult to find). As others have stated, localized hot spots within air cooled engines have a much higher temperature delta between the cooler spots than in the later water cooled engines.

Have you asked your engine builder why the 20w-50 rec? Is that mainly driven by track days or for summer "insurance" during hard driving in traffic?

For your air cooled, you need an HTHS of at least 4.0. So this means HDEO 5w-40 full syn oils (RT6, Delo, Delvac 1 [the exception, with an HTHS of 3.8 but a truly excellent oil], etc) or the like. Also, Mobil 1 15w-50 has an HTHS of 4.5.

https://www.mobil.com/English-US/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/NAUSMobil-1-15W50

Other than the HDEOs and the Motul 300v 10w-40, not many passenger car oils have an HTHS of 4.0 or higher. A40 oils usally fall in the 3.4-3.7 area when new....but tend to sheer quickly with use due to their 0w or 5w rating.

I'm using Delo 400 XLE 5w-40 in my 99 M96 3.4 down here in FL and it started in the Florida cold (58 degrees F) this morning without issue. It has an HTHS of 4.0-4.1 according to my research.

I think you would do well to focus heavily on HTHS figures as opposed to the std weight ratings.

EDIT: I've used Mobil-1 15w-50 in my Water cooled M96 with VarioCam down to about 65 degrees without issue. I'm sure running a proper 50 weight would be no issue for you. In fact, I'm leaning toward it. Also note that M1 15w-50 has 1200ppm ZDDP.

Last edited:
Thanks BTJ

Ill definitely be having a chat with the engine builder re his 20w50 recommendation.

It maybe because the pistons and cylinders are being retained (30k miles) and a /50 will offer better protection? My use-case to date does involve high traffic situations so I'm guessing fuel dilution also becomes a consideration.

Having covered very few miles in the past 2 years, it could well be using a /50 from now on becomes the norm; I can use the Elf 5w40 in the Merc.

Bought 10L of it
smile.gif
And I have found one interesting thing written on it....

"contains: Molybdhenum polysulphide long chain alkyl dithiocarbamide complex"

What type of Moly is that?

Really interesting! So this is definitely not the Total Quartz 9000 rebadged, but a former formula, of maybe some old Elf formula...

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Bought 10L of it
smile.gif
And I have found one interesting thing written on it....

"contains: Molybdhenum polysulphide long chain alkyl dithiocarbamide complex"

What type of Moly is that?

Isn't that MoDTC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back