Getting your hair cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else have trepidation when your normal cutter leaves suddenly? I had a lady cut my hair for a few years now (and before her the same one for about the equal time). I could go in and joke "Same ol', same ol'"...no issues. She got a job at a full salon (more money and less travel, so kudos to her!) To me, its almost like going to a new doctor.
Not to mention the lady tonight wasn't following what I asked and had to do some adjusting. Her small talk was cringe worthy, too. "Are you going to dressed up for Halloween?" "Its a good thing you can only get opioids for 10 days. My friend almost died two weeks ago." "Do you have kids? I have a three year old. He doesn't play with toys much, but likes watching the garbage disposal and things." My shirt was damp on the back when I left I was so tensed up about the whole deal!
The haircut is fine, but I'll select another cutter next time. I was partially to blame due to someone else doing the cutting and being weird about it.
Anyone else have haircutterchangephobia?

Nah, I have a short military style cut - "high and tight". Tough to screw up and if they want to be chatty, I can chat it up for the 10 mins it takes to do.

The worst is when the dental hygienist wants to chat, how am I supposed to talk with all the [censored] she has stuffed in my mouth?
confused2.gif

Sort of. My ex-girlfriend used to do it, and I got in the habit of regarding it as foreplay.

When we split up I was too sentimental to go to a pro so I learned to...ahem...do it myself. (Though I've subsequently had offers, honest.)

Old fashioned screw-adjustable safety razor set loose does a reasonably neat trim. Its thinning anyway.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Nah, I have a short military style cut - "high and tight". Tough to screw up and if they want to be chatty, I can chat it up for the 10 mins it takes to do.

Lol. That's the thing. I have a semi-military cut. #1 guard high up on the sides and blended (NO lines!!), squared back, finger length on top and texturized. That's it. I know I was in the chair for over 20 minutes!

Originally Posted By: bmwjohn
Whats textureized?

Its a process done by razor or specialized scissors that gives your hair a bit of a rough look.

My only notable haircut was boot camp. It went really fast and when I walked outside I could tell which way the wind was blowing using my head. The haircut set the tone for the rest of boot camp.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4

Lol. That's the thing. I have a semi-military cut. #1 guard high up on the sides and blended (NO lines!!), squared back, finger length on top and texturized. That's it. I know I was in the chair for over 20 minutes!

Exact same for me except with a #2 guard on the sides and no texture.
I personally just go to the shopping center with the Walmart, and there are 3 hair shops right within walking distance. I check one then the other until I find one I can get right in at. I dont wait in lines. If I can't get in at any I go home and try the next weekend. So I don't have a 'regular' person. I haven't had a conversation go like that however. Thats really strange. Usually just asking what I do for work and what have you.

Last edited:

Same here.

I go to an old-school barber shop with 5 chairs and a 6th station where wheelchairs fit. #3 on the sides and back, taper the back, finger-length on top. Each barber interprets that a little differently but I really don't care that much...it'll grow back and I'll be back in a month. I get hot under that stupid drape and just want to get it over with as quickly as I can.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
She got a job at a full salon (more money and less travel, so kudos to her!)

I always followed my hair cut dude to his new salons. Just start going to her at her new locale if it's not too far away. If it is,just stick with this new chick,especially since you said she did a good job.

Buzz it myself w/ a Wahl. Not much choice, either that or do the comb-over which I'll never do. Joys of the family genetics ...

I walk in and ask for a #4. Thats the cutter head. Cuts the sides down to 3/8- 1/2" Make all sorts of chatter about asking for a discount due to lack of hair on top. In and out in less than 10 minutes
grin2.gif

Nope. Difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is about 2 weeks....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back