2017 Cadillac ATS 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering purchasing this car from a local dealer and they stated that Cadillac takes care of all the maintenance for the first 4 years and 80,000 KM.

Can we trust the dealer to put an appropriately spec'd oil in there, or should I bring my own oil and filters?

Looking for recommendations on oil for this engine. I searched and didn't find much, or it could be that I just don't know how to use the search function effectively.

Any other feedback on this engine, tranny, and car in general would be appreciated.

I would think a new car dealer could be trusted. Is this a random run of the mill used car lot, they might not
be trust worthy.

Last edited:
I'm sure they will use the right oil in that motor, as it was having issues with low speed preignition blowing them up, and it was related to additive pack in some oils. Now I think they have it figured out. Very nice car though!
I drool over one at work, with the 2.0 and a mtx. He plans on driving it the winter so I'm interested to see how it does.

The earlier versions of that engine did have occasional issues with breaking ring lands most likely due to LSPI. Therefore a Dexos1 Gen2 oil would be your best bet. By this time that should be what the dealers are dumping in anyway.

My recommendation would be to put higher grade gas than is recommended. I believe the minimum is 87. I would run premium any chance you get, it will run better and get better mileage as well.

Otherwise the drivetrain is solid.

is this a CPO Cadillac?
smile.gif

You can actually run 87 octane in that engine?

A turbo DI small displacement, high output engine with 87 octane can't be a good idea.

New purchase. It's one of the handful of remaining 2017's in the city. Great discounts and incentives.

Originally Posted By: webfors
New purchase. It's one of the handful of remaining 2017's in the city. Great discounts and incentives.

Thank you for clearing that up
thumbsup2.gif

I thought it would've been considered used already since the 2018's are already out. Sorry for the confusion
smile.gif

The Challenger we just bought cane with a two year service agreement. I let them change the oil but I watch them like a hawk and even inspect the empty 0w40 Pennzoil oil bottles. Yes, they still use the oil by the qt. The 5w30 and 5w20 comes out of the mystery hoses. Just watch them. I know the Dodge guys think I'm a freak. Sometimes I sniff the bottles just to shake them up. I ll stick my finger in it and taste it next time.

Might want to wander over to the service section of the dealership and watch them perform oil changes.

My local, very large, prestigious, GM/Buick/VW dealership installed the wrong oil in every VW they serviced. The Ford dealer uses the right oil.

OH, and very cool, great looking, excellent driving car. Just the right size too.

Last edited:
If the price is right I would hop on it. They are beautiful vehicles and a lot of fun to drive. I wouldn't sweat it with the oil. The Caddy dealerships near me are all top notch so I would believe it is an industry standard.

Originally Posted By: Tman220
The earlier versions of that engine did have occasional issues with breaking ring lands most likely due to LSPI. Therefore a Dexos1 Gen2 oil would be your best bet. By this time that should be what the dealers are dumping in anyway.

My recommendation would be to put higher grade gas than is recommended. I believe the minimum is 87. I would run premium any chance you get, it will run better and get better mileage as well.

Otherwise the drivetrain is solid.

Interesting to hear that there were problems with GM's 2.0l DIT, certainly had heard about the recall for the 1.5l found in the Malibu and Envision.
I wholeheartedly agree that it is well worth making sure this Caddy gets dexos1 Gen 2 oil if the purchase goes through!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back