will craftsman tools be worth a bunch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last I heard they were trying to get into big box stores, so they're still in business. I already see some of the made in usa craftsman tools go for a good amount of money on ebay. Will my craftsman tools be worth a fortune in 30 years?

I'm afraid to use them now. lol I don't want to scratch up my screw driver
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
They will be worth less.
I read a article where they did actual tool tests where they actually put the tools in a frame bending machine and cranked them until they busted and also micrometer tested the tools for sizes. Harbor Freight and modern made tools were right up there in performance due to all the automated factories now.
As a matter of fact Older Craftsman tools faired worse so the even though they were good in thier day, now not so much. Duramax sold by AutoZone was the overall winner.
Naturally Snap on and Matco refused to take part in the test and threatened lawsuits if thier tools were tested.
You can Google the test and read it.
The big selling point on Craftsman tools was the ease of returning them and getting a new tool, no pain but recent years Sears, due to financial problems I am sure even started making that a issue.
Your tools won't be worth anymore than Atlas, Wright or any other obsolete tool maker. Like the new generation will even be into tools at all.
Use them enjoy them.

Tools are made to be used. Tool buyers don't care about cosmetic damage, they care about functional damage. Predicting what will be considered valuable in 30 years is dicey, but there is one sure item that will be worth more in the future ... money.

Selling your tools (that you don't use) now, and using that money to invest, will pay dividends, versus guessing about what eBay buyers will want some day. If you notice, people who are in the business of collectibles sell everything they have and replace it at lower prices, because they know the market. That's how you make money that way, not holding onto stuff and incurring storage costs.

Remember: everything (and I mean everything) is only worth what someone will actually give you in cash for it. The value of anything is only determined the day it sells, not while sitting in inventory.

I have had the same tool box full of craftsman tools since 82. They have been used hard over the years and I expect the kids will give them to Goodwill when I am worm dirt. That's if Goodwill would even take them when the time comes.

Originally Posted By: Bud
I have had the same tool box full of craftsman tools since 82. They have been used hard over the years and I expect the kids will give them to Goodwill when I am worm dirt. That's if Goodwill would even take them when the time comes.

I still have Craftsman tools I bought in the early 60's. I think I broke 2 or 3, which were promptly replaced. I've lost a couple. I still use them. Last week I used my 1/2" drive ratchet with short extension and a 9/16" socket to R&R the steering gear in my 20 YO Poulan lawn tractor. The sockets are still as hard to remove from the handle as they were when new. I do have newer tools but the Craftsman's are my go to tools. .

I'm considering having my Craftsman tools buried with me when I pass in 20 years or so.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Originally Posted By: Bud

I still have Craftsman tools I bought in the early 60's. I think I broke 2 or 3, which were promptly replaced. I've lost a couple. I still use them. Last week I used my 1/2" drive ratchet with short extension and a 9/16" socket to R&R the steering gear in my 20 YO Poulan lawn tractor. The sockets are still as hard to remove from the handle as they were when new. I do have newer tools but the Craftsman's are my go to tools. .

I'm considering having my Craftsman tools buried with me when I pass in 20 years or so.

thumbsup2.gif

That's a great idea.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
They will be worth less.
I read a article where they did actual tool tests where they actually put the tools in a frame bending machine and cranked them until they busted and also micrometer tested the tools for sizes. Harbor Freight and modern made tools were right up there in performance due to all the automated factories now.
As a matter of fact Older Craftsman tools faired worse so the even though they were good in thier day, now not so much. Duramax sold by AutoZone was the overall winner.
Naturally Snap on and Matco refused to take part in the test and threatened lawsuits if thier tools were tested.
The big selling point on Craftsman tools was the ease of returning them and getting a new tool, no pain but recent years Sears, due to financial problems I am sure even started making that a issue.
Your tools won't be worth anymore than Atlas, Wright or any other obsolete tool maker. Like the new generation will even be into tools at all.
Use them enjoy them.

I thought Wright was a company currently making high quality tools not obsolete.

I have a craftsman socket set. Bought it in Costco for just under £110 about four years ago.

One ratchet fell apart.

But the rest of it jas been great.

Costco don't sell it (well not in the shop i use) and now do a similar set for a littls less which is Costco own brand, Kirkland.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Made in USA Craftsman nut drivers will be worth big money.

Why?

^ This. There's so many of them out there that they're just going to slowly depreciate based on wear. Among my other sets I do happen to have a 50 year old Cman set that I could sell to someone over on Garage Journal forum for fair money but I still use them, and with some luck will be around until anyone old enough to value the nostalgia, will be too old to start collecting tools. IMO that's something most people stop doing once they reach retirement age, already having all the tools they need and them some by then, instead looking to downsize and move into a Florida condo.

Kids born today, by the time they reach the age where they're collecting tools, will have no idea what Craftsman is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Recalculating
Will my craftsman tools be worth a fortune in 30 years?

Maybe? Consider putting them in your bank's security vault.

Likely not at the current level of intelligence in our legislature it will be against the law to work on your own car in 30 or so years.

Originally Posted By: Donald
They will be worth less.
Use them enjoy them.

I thought Wright was a company currently making high quality tools not obsolete.

Dang your right. I thought they were obsolete. I am still using a 1/4 socket set with the original box and all the sockets that was my dad's favorite set. Maybe I better save them. Just kidding, they are my favorite too and maybe my son's favorite some day.

They will be worth less.
Use them enjoy them.

Wright is making tools. Really good ones.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
They will be worth less.
Use them enjoy them.

Wright is making tools. Really good ones.

Wright tool company makes a fantastic product. Its product line is geared towards industrial users , however the smaller stuff they make is awesome. I use a set of their 3/8 metric sockets as my go to sockets professionally. Their sockets, ratchets and wrenches are comparable or higher quality than any tool truck brand.

They will be worth less.
Use them enjoy them.

+1

[/quote]

I thought Wright was a company currently making high quality tools not obsolete. [/quote]

Wright Tool is alive and well, I got to tour their facility a year ago and they even let me take photo's.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Why?

Because they're not made anymore and the handle shape provides for fast spinning.

But my previous comment refers to NEW nut drivers with "WF USA" on the handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back