Best wheeled tool cart/chest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be moving to VA here next week, and I will not longer have a garage to work on my cars in. I would like to get a tool cart/chest with a handle so i can wheel it out of my new basement door and around to the driveway to work on things. There are so many options from $100 to thousands. Id like to be somewhere in the $200-$350 range.

I would like one with lots of drawers for storage but also open space on bottom and opening lit up top for sockets.

Would need to hold:
-2 sets of metric and standard sockets (deep and standard)
-6 rachets
-some hammers
-about a dozen screwdrivers
-about 10 pairs of pliers
-cordless drill and impact
-misc electrical stuff and small specialty tools

Space in the bottom would be for stuff like rags, batteries and chargers for electric tools, saws and other bug stuff, etc.

What brands do people own and like?

This is an example of what I am looking for:

us-general-pro-700-pound-capacity-five-drawer-tool-cart.jpg

The red HF one has a cult following. The black HF one might be big enough for the tools you described, and it's only $100. It's a big leap in price to Homak, which is $400+

I think I am leaning towards the HF one, but just wanted to have some other opinions. The other option is a Sunex one like this: Sunex Tool Cart but it doesn't look any better to be honest for the additional cost.

I have the HF red one-love it. Well built and works great. A few friends also have them and think they are great also.

Dave

another vote for the HF cart - I used to have one at my old job for the preventative maintenance people to use. It stood up to the worst of the worst employees and abuse with minimal repairs (riveting the hinges back on mostly). It's overloaded with tools and cleaning supplies and still keeps rolling on like a champ. The only major complaint I have is that the lid support arms are riveted and eventually wear to the point where they can bend backwards when you close the lid, ripping the hinges in the back.

To clarify, this was at a Chuck E Cheese - I guarantee you the dirtballs I had working for me are way harder on tools and equipment than anyone that actually gives a [censored].

Last edited:
That red HF cart is AWESOM. I have 2 of them and the quality is very good. I have also have the cheaper black and it's ok but not as strong as the red one and missing a few nice touches.

Get the red HF - you will be satisfied.

Can't edit my other post - shoot looks like they now have pistons on the top. I must've had a really old style, because it had the folding supports like the black tool box. Bonus!

In its price range the red Harbor Freight cart is excellent. I have two coworkers that use them as professional technicians. I bought one for my dad to use as his tool storage in a home garage. They all seem to be pleased with them.

Last UK annual inspection I had done, now over a decade ago, the garage used these

European-metal-supermarket-shopping-trolley-cart.jpg

Not so available here, and they have brake-on-grid wheels which are less suitable.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Last UK annual inspection I had done, now over a decade ago, the garage used these

Asian women? Why? Is there something special they can do to inspect vehicles?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HorseThief

Small hands. Refresh the parts other peers cannot reach.

Home Depot used to have the best deal in town, even better than Hazard Frought Tools. I bought 4 a couple years ago, black with roller bearings (double row on deep drawers). Bottom cabinets have a very thick butcher block top. Look at specifications closely, some are shallower than others. Excellent value but you usually have to order them and most stores do not display them. Order them, if you don't like them you don't have to take them...but you will.

I prefer to have all my basic automotive tools in one all-drawer chest . I use a 27L x 18W x 41H tool chest as my roll around caddy. Very easy to wheel to my work location and the top can be used as a work surface to set tools and parts on. This is an old Waterloo made Craftsman box. The red box sitting on the backside of the top is a 3/4 inch Wright socket set. Many of my tools are unitized so that I can grab them out of the chest and toss them in my truck or Gator to work elsewhere: socket sets in plastic box (left on top), combo wrenches in holders, screwdrivers in holders.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HorseThief

You will never know Grasshopper!
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back