ECOGARD Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen limited input on these. Just ordered 8 for my mom's 07 Optima with 144k (X10479). Also ordered 8 for my dad's 1994 XJ 4.0 (X4670) with about 160k. Any input on these while I can still cancel the order? lol

They seem to be ok as a budget filter... but obviously you've already committed hook, line, and sinker! If you were just trying them out, why order 8? LOL

I would have ordered 1-2 each and tested them out. JMHO

bc its going to my mom's place for stock up. They seem ok on the inside from the other post I saw. OCI's will be 3-4k

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Usually Chinese, seem OK for short OCIs, unknown efficiency.

Yes I just have a hard time buying any filter where you don't know to what level it filters.
Is it 20 microns or 50% at pee gravel size?

Here is the other post I was reading.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...amp#Post4430599
At 98% efficiency @ 30 seems to be on par with some of the ST and Fram EG filters.

Thank you for your message and for reviewing the product on the forum you participate in on-line. Regarding efficiency, our blue ECOGARD Premium Oil Filter is 98.8% efficient > 30um and 87.97% efficient > 20um. Our black Synthetic+ oil filter is 99.9% efficient > 30um and 97.22% efficient > 20um. As you can tell from the breakdown you put together this is a well thought out and designed product and has been in the field for almost a decade with an excellent reputation with customers. We use a spiral wound steel center tube and metal end caps on the cartridge to enhance the strength and performance of our oil filter. We use an extra thick can for structural integrity. Unfortunately, you did detect oxidization on the inside of the can on the dirty side of the filter (any oxidation that comes loose will be filtered before entering the engine). This is likely the result of break down in an assembly process where the inside of the can is treated with a rust preventer. After the can is treated it then must be finished in a short window of time. It’s likely in this instance the can was not finished in the time window required. We will conduct a corrective action in our plant and permanently resolve this problem that you have brought to our attention. We have a robust quality team in the U.S.A. and in our plant and we’ve made hundreds of millions of high quality oil filters – this is something that will be fixed. I’ve attached a picture of the same model X4651 from lot code 12/24/16 91. As you can see, the inside of the can is in excellent condition and does not show any signs of oxidization.

Their air and cabin air filters looked pretty good.

Isnt usa made purolator one of the most spit on filters here?

I bought them for the Journey off Amazon because they were far cheaper than the $20 FRAM'S
mad.gif

I think you'll be fine using them up to a 5 to 6K OCI..I've used a few of them and they looked great when cut open.
Those X10479's were very cheap a few weeks ago on Amazon but have gone way up since then....I think I paid $1.69 each with PRIME free shipping. What did you pay for them?

Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Seen limited input on these. Just ordered 8 for my mom's 07 Optima with 144k (X10479). Also ordered 8 for my dad's 1994 XJ 4.0 (X4670) with about 160k. Any input on these while I can still cancel the order? lol
Seems like a bass akwards way of doing things.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: 2012AccentSE
Seems like a bass akwards way of doing things.

I was submitting the order with other items that I need ASAP. I threw in my parents items on top of my order. Didn't have time to ask
smirk.gif

From what I'm seeing on youtube, the cut open filters are looking fantastic. I honestly see nothing objectively wrong with them, so I will use em.

The consensus is that the EcoGard oil filters are decent economy filters, safe to use for intervals up to 5,000 miles.

I bought 4 of the EcoGard X4011 for $1.86 each -- I didn't want the filters, I just wanted the gaskets to put on some new old stock Mobil 1 filters with aging gaskets. The gaskets didn't transfer anyway... not sure why I thought the gaskets were universal across all brands for the same application. (The gasket diameter is the same but the thickness is different).

So now I am stuck with these filters and thinking about using them. I'll cut one open this weekend (or sooner) and will post pics in a new thread in the oil filter C&P forum.

Last edited:
I run the premiums to 7k with zero issues. I also cut open every for inspection just FYI. Fantastic filter for the $$ as far as i'm concerned.

OK I cut open one of the Ecogard X4011 filters tonight. It is spec'd for a variety of GM vehicles made across about 20 years. Here are the pics with a few notes:

I always mark the month/year of manufacture on the box in order to use oldest filters first:

I cut off the base plate with a disc grinder, good practice doing the hamfist
laugh.gif
But watch out for razor sharp edges!

Contents: baseplate with gasket, ADBV, filter media cartridge, spring, can. There is no bypass valve - the bottom of the cartridge is a solid plate of metal (sorry no pic of the bottom):

Lots of good sized holes in the metal core tube:

These last 2 are not very clear (sorry) but are only intended to show the spacing of the pleats - there are lots of pleats and the spacing is pretty uniform - the first picture shows the widest spacing and the 2nd picture shows the tightest:

Comments: the can is very strong and sturdy, not easy to squeeze and not thin or weak as I had suspected. So it took a lot of grinding to cut the base plate off. The base plate is not the heaviest I have seen but it is good. The ADBV is flimsy but none is specified for my particular application so no matter there. I am surprised that there is no bypass valve - it's a bit concerning as there is no way for the oil to get through the filter quickly in the event of media clogging or if a cold start is done at very low temps (where the oil is thicker). I don't live in temps below about 32F and my vehicles are garaged at home, so again, no matter there. The core tube is metal with lots of big holes so flow should be good. I tried to twist the metal end plates off the media cartridge and could not, it is solid. The filter media is the typical paper type media, but there's lots of it. The media is glued to the metal end plates and there was hardly any excess, looks like a good job there, none of the paper edges were loose in the caps.

Overall it is a very good filter for the $1.86 that I paid. Again I did not buy them to use them as filters, I bought the cheapest filters I could find because I needed the base gasket, which did not fit the aging premium filters that I plan on using next. But these are good enough that I am comfortable running them for 5,000-mile intervals.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
No bypass valve because they are for GM engines that have the bypass valve built into the engine block. Nice C&P - thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back