Ford Ranger Oil and Filter Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I am a brand new member to the forum but have been reading for quite sometime. I am a huge fan of the 1/2 ton truck. I have a 1993 s10 2.8 with 130xxx miles and a 1994 Ranger 4.0 with 94xxx miles. They’re just around town trucks. I have a total daily commute of about 18 miles. I’m looking for oil and filter recommendations for both vehicles.

I greatly appreciate it!

welcome2.gif
to BITOG

What kind of Oil Change Interval / Oil are you using?

The Ranger I just purchased and I have been using Havoline High Mileage 5w-30 and a purolator classic oil filter every 3000 miles.

Neither truck needs anything more than a name brand oil, syn. semi syn or conventional, pick an oil and use it

Originally Posted By: CamBurt33

1994 Ranger 4.0 with 94xxx miles.

I've put about 250K miles in an 4.0 Aerostar with the 4.0 from this era. Use any good SN oil or filter that you want, the engine is not picky.
You don't worry about oil or oil filters for this engine. The biggest worry would be head gaskets and valve seats.

Agree with oil choices, the 4.0 is not picky AND the Havoline is good stuff.

Filter choice could be better, with all the Purolator tearing (and MC made by Purolator and some tears there also).

I think your OK with the Havoline (or any name brand 5w30 in winter...10w30 in summer) but I'd ditch the Purlator JUNK for a Walmart ST (made by Wix)....

I’ve had two Rangers, and they’re not picky on oil; 5w-30 or 10w-30 will be fine. I have 5w-20 Castrol Magnatec in my newest one right now. I’ve used Pennzoil, Carquest, and Supertech oil with MC, PurolatorOne, and Supertech filters. No problems with any of them.

I drove my company Ranger to 253K before it went to auction. At around 150K, it'll want some thicker oil to keep it quiet. Other than that, it'll run into the sunset. I used full sized filters on mine. FL1A's IIRC ... They fit fine. Your's might not depending on accessories.

But, since Mortorcraft switched suppliers, I would use Fram Ultras of the same size. Oil, your choice. TN gets cold in the winter. I remember standing in formation at Knox with the snow blowing sideways ... So the bigger the filter, the better for the extra media area. It allows cold thick'ish oil to pass easier w/o internal by-pass opening on start-up.

Originally Posted By: anndel
Ur oil is fine but try a Fram Ultra filter on the next OCI.

Or for two and a half dollar less get a Fram Tough Guard that filters within 1/2% of what the Ultra 99.x% plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back