5W30 or 10w30 winter oil for a '01 Suburban 1500 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes, I just noticed I posted in the Diesel forum by accident lol
blush.gif

For a '01 Suburban 1500 5.3

So my next OCI is around December. I just put Pennzoil HM 10W30 last month and had a MB-1 SYN filter already on since June. I drive around 2000-miles a month( it's my work truck) and I live in Oklahoma, So in winter it's not cold ALL the time like Chicago/New York, But it CAN get F@!&# cold at times in winter !!!!

Truck will have around 246K miles around nect OCI and it does have the "FABULOUS" vortec "piston slap option"
smirk.gif

Curious if 5W-30 is okay with that type of mileage for winter use or not ?? Just wanted to make sure, Cause a few days ago, I picked up 5 QT jug of Atwoods harvest king Semi-Syn 5W-30 for $7 after tax on sale !!! laugh

I do add 1QT of hy-per lube/Lucas oil treatment on ALL my oil changes throughout year, but have been told on BOBISG that oil supplements are a BIG no no ???

Dave

Last edited:
The Lucas stuff is very thick; not really good at all for colder weather.

5w or 10w-30 will be fine. Why not just run a 5w-30 High mileage all year? That is the best option.

NEVER use Lucas thickener. Just use thicker oil in the first place. 5w-30 is fine. It's a 30 weight oil. Like Drew said, you can use a 5w-30 HM year round, or even a 0w-40. Save 10w-30 for the summer if you prefer it.

My 5.3 with 175k has had pretty loud piston slap below 40F in the past. Changed to BC 0w30 about 2 years ago and haven't heard it since. Not sure if it was luck, thicker oil or Castrol magic. I may never know as I have another 3-4 years of that oil in the stash.

5W or 10w, then thicken it up with motor honey? The question I will ask is how cold does it get where you are going to start the car?

Why would you need to thicken it up? Certainly, why would you thicken it up with a questionable additive that does nothing but dilute the add pack? It's an LS-based motor, which have been proven over millions of miles on 30W oils, and piston slap is obviously not detrimental to the life of these engines.

Stick with the 5W30 unless you have reason to believe the engine needs a heavier oil (piston slap may be quieted by this but the issue is inherent in the design), and for goodness sake DON'T USE LUCAS!
smile.gif

Both 5W-30 and 10W-30 are recommended by GM for use in your engine. Unless you are looking at very cold temperatures, 10-30 is an acceptable alternate for the 5-30. Forget an oil additive as most of the time, they are a waste of money. Use an oil from one of the major suppliers and you're good to go.

Originally Posted By: CT8
5W or 10w, then thicken it up with motor honey? The question I will ask is how cold does it get where you are going to start the car?

I'm in Oklahoma for now, But I do visit Chicago at times and plan on visiting this holiday winter season and we all know it can get FREAKIN cold in chi-town lol

But back in Oklahoma during a BAD winter, I have seen as cold as 10/20 below zero !!! It's rare but has and can happen !!!

Dave

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Why would you need to thicken it up? Certainly, why would you thicken it up with a questionable additive that does nothing but dilute the add pack? It's an LS-based motor, which have been proven over millions of miles on 30W oils, and piston slap is obviously not detrimental to the life of these engines.

Stick with the 5W30 unless you have reason to believe the engine needs a heavier oil (piston slap may be quieted by this but the issue is inherent in the design), and for goodness sake DON'T USE LUCAS!
smile.gif

Years ago, I was recommended Lucas to "thicken it up" due to the piston slap issue ??? But for the first time since I bought the truck I'm gonna run it 100% oil nothing "Extra" and see what it does lol !

Dave

So I'm gonna try 5w-30 for my next winter OCI in December, I got 6 QTS of Harvest King (Citgo) 5W-30 Semi syn for $8.75 total after tax !!! And running a M1 Filter for now. Next year going with a Fram XG3675 filters @ $4 each !!!
cool.gif

I want peace of mind incase it does get below 0 in Oklahoma and if I do drive up to Chicago this winter !!!

If I like the way my rig runs with 5W-30 then gonna switch to HK FULL syn at $13 for a 5 QT jug

Dave

the closer the viscosity spread the better generally, + if your not using oil 10-30 is good but a 10-40 or a 15-40 diesel could be a good choice + quiet things a bit + change your filter with the oil!!! highway miles are easier + longer changes with a better oil is surely an option.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMguy84
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo

smile.gif

Years ago, I was recommended Lucas to "thicken it up" due to the piston slap issue ??? But for the first time since I bought the truck I'm gonna run it 100% oil nothing "Extra" and see what it does lol !
Dave

+3 Lose the Lucas (snake) oil. Can't believe people still buy this stuff. Here's what it really does: https://youtu.be/wLnpHWwu9xM

Originally Posted By: GMguy84
So I'm gonna try 5w-30 for my next winter OCI in December, I got 6 QTS of Harvest King (Citgo) 5W-30 Semi syn for $8.75 total after tax !!! And running a M1 Filter for now. Next year going with a Fram XG3675 filters @ $4 each !!!
cool.gif

I want peace of mind incase it does get below 0 in Oklahoma and if I do drive up to Chicago this winter !!!

If I like the way my rig runs with 5W-30 then gonna switch to HK FULL syn at $13 for a 5 QT jug

Dave
HowaboutCastrol 0W-40 ??? Good to 30*F below zero to above 100*F.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
M1 HM 10w-30

Ya thats a good choice, I LOVE M1 products !!! But I can get 6 QT's of 10W-30 Harvest King (Citgo) FULL SYN for $14 after tax @ local farm store

Originally Posted By: jj51702
Whatever the owners manual states

Ya 5W-30 is what OM and oil caps says

Just not sure of the LS based engines required DEXOS ???

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back