2008 Kia Sportage V6 - 10w30 or 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked-up a 2008 KIA Sportage 2.7 V6 with about 95k miles. The owners manual basically gives two viscosity suggestions (10w30 & 5w-30) I plan on using a full synthetic and going 5-7k. Not really concerned about using a high mileage oil at this point.

Phoenix AZ heat for most of the year too. Any suggestions for this climate? Most of my driving is highway.

Thank you!

I found it interesting last night that both Mobil and Pennzoil online oil selectors recommended 10W-30 for my Buick above zero degrees Fahrenheit. I guess the oil companies don't think 10W-30 is as thick as everybody else does.

A name brand, full synthetic 10W30 in your climate. It's less volatile and more shear stable than the equivalent 5W30.

PP 10W30, Edge 10W30, M1 10W30, Kendall 10W30 GT-1 with Titanium, SynPower 10W30, etc All good, shop on price or family tradition.

Originally Posted By: SR5
A name brand, full synthetic 10W30 in your climate. It's less volatile and more shear stable than the equivalent 5W30.

PP 10W30, Edge 10W30, M1 10W30, Kendall 10W30 GT-1 with Titanium, SynPower 10W30, etc All good, shop on price or family tradition.

Good advice here.

Originally Posted By: JGmazda
I just picked-up a 2008 KIA Sportage 2.7 V6 with about 95k miles. The owners manual basically gives two viscosity suggestions (10w30 & 5w-30) I plan on using a full synthetic and going 5-7k. Not really concerned about using a high mileage oil at this point.

Phoenix AZ heat for most of the year too. Any suggestions for this climate? Most of my driving is highway.

Thank you!

AZ? 10w30 is an easy choice.

Also, with almost all highway miles your Sportage is a great candidate for extended drains; you could probably go 10k on your chosen synthetic without worry....

10w-30. I’ve done oil changes on a relative’s Kia for ten years now with it, and it’s been bulletproof.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30.

High Mileage Oil? Not that it would hurt, but am I causing issues with the additives? Currently, the car exhibits zero leaks.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I found it interesting last night that both Mobil and Pennzoil online oil selectors recommended 10W-30 for my Buick above zero degrees Fahrenheit. I guess the oil companies don't think 10W-30 is as thick as everybody else does.

I also have a 2001 Buick LeSabre that calls for 10w-30. I think it's a good viscosity, especially here in the Southwest.

Originally Posted By: SR5

Lots to choose from. Thanks for your suggestion.

Originally Posted By: Crispysea
10w-30. I’ve done oil changes on a relative’s Kia for ten years now with it, and it’s been bulletproof.

Seems to run great so far! It's approaching the 100K mark so I'm a little concerned about the Timing Belt. Other than that, it's a very solid and hefty vehicle!

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Thank you!

AZ? 10w30 is an easy choice.

Also, with almost all highway miles your Sportage is a great candidate for extended drains; you could probably go 10k on your chosen synthetic without worry....

Yes, It hardly ever freezes here in Phoenix. 10w-30 seems to be a good choice. I don't see how 5w-30 would be an advantage? Thanks for your reply!

Thank you!

My wife has the same suv and lived in Phoenix. She has 59k on it and we always used 5w30.

Either viscosity will be perfectly fine in your 2.7L in your area. At your mileage you should really consider getting the timing belt replaced. I always recommend to customers to replace the water pump , timing belt idler and tensioner at the same time. Spark plugs should be due soon too. Nice little suv though , ive always enjoyed the few times ive gotten to work on the V6 2nd gen Sportage's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back