How cheap can I do a Euro oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One BITOGer in the main forum was saying I can spend $20/year on oil changes and my car will be fine. I am a bit skeptical as an oil filter alone costs $10. Then I will have to buy 6.5L (one oil change) of synthetic oil for $10?

I am a bit too scared to put mineral oil in a BMW. I'm not sure how the VANOS and CCV systems would like it.

I need to do 2 oil changes a year. So two oil filters will be $20. I haven't seen Euro oil cheaper than $26 for 5 L from CT. So $20 (2 filters) + $78 (15L of oil) = $98 + tax = ~$115

Is there a cheaper oil change option I am missing?

You can use a house brand full synthetic 5/30 for a reasonable interval, Napa, CarQuest AutoZone etc for about 6-7k max. That will probably be a pretty cheap option. Napa on sale here is 3$ each, so thats 21$ and a 10$ filter would make it 31$ per.
I had my house oil, Cam 2 semi syn analyzed after 7200 miles on a friends E90 325xi and it worked out well, I think Blackstone said it could go a little longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

1. OP does not live in the US.
2. That is likely not a correct oil for his car, unless he has a diesel engine.

Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula at Walmart is about as cheap as it gets.

See if there's a case of your filter on sale from one of the foreign car parts places.

I did a an oil change in my 17 Jetta for $20.
Pennzoil 0w-40 after Walmart rebate and Pennzoil rebate-$10
VW OEM filter-$10
And 45 minutes of my time.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Annnnd there's the condescending b.s.

Didn't take long.

It is not condescending at all, it is a fact. These cars are expensive to maintain. $115/yr, or $10/month really is nearly nothing.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

1. OP does not live in the US.
2. That is likely not a correct oil for his car, unless he has a diesel engine.

+1 isn't that oil the LL-04 spec for the diesels?

I would try to find the Castrol Edge 0w40, seems to be pretty common at WalMart and other parts stores, and not that expensive. This oil meets the LL-01 spec for BMW gasoline engines.

Edit: I didn’t realize you were in Canada.

AAP has a BMW certified Euro 5w-40 Carquest oil at about $6/quart. I think it even qualifies for their oil and filter special. If not, you can order online and get 20% off.

Last edited:
Use the recommended oil for your car. Vanos is hydraulic motor,it doesn't care what the base of the oil is.

if you believe your oil changes are expensive then do uoas to find out if the oil is still good.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
You drive a BMW and think $115/year on oil changes is too much?

Maybe you should trade it in for a Corolla?

It is if you can get it done cheaper.

Mine is about 8.5 quarts on an E-350. Autozone clearance $2/quart Castrol 0w30 and some Purolator cartridge filters on clearance from rockauto that were made in Germany and is basically a Wix. They were about $2 each and I got 4 so with shipping somewhere around $3 each. 8.5 quarts works out to about $17 for the oil and $3 for the filter. So that's a $20 oil change. But oil is a lot more expensive in Canada so it probably can't be done.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
You drive a BMW and think $115/year on oil changes is too much?

Maybe you should trade it in for a Corolla?

It is if you can get it done cheaper.

Mine is about 8.5 quarts on an E-350. Autozone clearance $2/quart Castrol 0w30 and some Purolator cartridge filters on clearance from rockauto that were made in Germany and is basically a Wix. They were about $2 each and I got 4 so with shipping somewhere around $3 each. 8.5 quarts works out to about $17 for the oil and $3 for the filter. So that's a $20 oil change. But oil is a lot more expensive in Canada so it probably can't be done.

About the cheapest LL-01 readily available here in Canada is the Castrol 0W40, goes on sale once in a while for under $30. You could use the Canadian Tire European oil, but that is only "suitable" for the listed specs, does not "meet". Would not put in my engine. Of course, if you can find an oil on clearance, that would be the cheapest, but those happen very infrequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back