Recommended Oil & Filter, 1996 Toyota FZJ80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, new here. Been lurking and reading for some time, normally find myself over on IH8MUD, but wanted to gain advice and knowledge on oil and filtration. My 1996 Land Cruiser has 228k on the clock, hasn't skipped a beat. With that being said, I want to take the best care of it that I can and don't know a better place to get advice.

Wondering what a favorite oil would be for a 1FZ-FE, my understanding is that these motors are very easy on oil. I am currently using either Chevron Supreme 10W-30/40 or Castrol GTX, and a Toyota YZZD3 oil filter. I have been disappointed by the quality and construction of these Toyota filters since they switched from the Japanese made 20004 Denso filter. They certainly get the job done, but they seem to be a pretty basic filter.

Last edited:
First off,
welcome2.gif
to the site! You'll get a lot of opinions, here's mine --

Chevron's a solid oil so staying with that isn't a bad choice by any stretch. I'd use it in preference to the GTX.

As far as the filter, there are numerous good ones but Fram Ultra (good for 15k miles) is a favorite here; I'm a proponent of Amsoil filters, also good for 15k miles in your application.

What kind of interval do you run, and what are your typical driving habits?

The oils,filter you are using are fine keep with them. Marketing works well here.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The oils,filter you are using are fine keep with them. Marketing works well here.

He's not happy with the filter...

Welcome. As a prior owner of a 1974 FJ40 and a 1988 FJ60, I say keep using the Chevron. If you want to do 5K intervals, I'd say use a solid filter like a Wix, Baldwin or Hastings, but not overkill with a long life filter.

When I had my '95 FZJ80, I ran Mobil 1 10w30, and a Purolater filter. If I still had that vehicle, I'd probably be running the same oil, and a Fram Ultra filter.

You can't do any better than the oil filter you are using no matter what you read here. They are well made like you stated and good enough. I opened a new NAPA Gold last week just to take a look and it is junk. Going to give the two remaining Golds away.

Solid engines prob doesn't matter much what oil u use as long as it meets spec. My dads 93 was pretty much on the low mark all the time cuz he thought the 7 or 8 quarts (don't remember the exact amount) was too much for each change lol. Engine never skipped a beat but everything else was in pretty bad shape. He bought it with over 200k from some random dude and it looked like it was "gangsta'd" up with 22 inch rims and Toyota emblems on the headrests. Of course unknown maintenance history

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations. For awhile I have been loyal to WIX but in this application i used the Toyota filter. The recommended WIX filters are the WIX 51348 (extremely small even compared to the yota YZZD3) or 51515. Is there any true benefit to a larger filter like the 51515? I believe the 93-95 Land Cruisers came with a much larger filter, and a few people I know have told me "your filters way too tiny". I know not all filters are created equal, but part of me feels more comfortable with a larger filter.

For the oil, I get a great deal on it at Costco. I've also considered Mobil Super 5k, which is a very well priced oil at my local Walmart. Any thoughts on this oil? Are high mileage oils any good?

I know a lot of my questions are simple, so again thanks!

I've heard great things about Chevron, and Costco has it for an unbeatable price. Some have said over on MUD to run a heavier oil, some run 10W-40 some run 15W-40. Im in SoCal, so been thinking of changing and sticking to a 40 weight oil. The foreign (non epa) US spec for oil on the 1FZ-FE is a 40 weight oil from my understanding.

Driving habits are short commute to work, 250mi weekend/some extended trips.

VISCOSITIES:
Below 100 F 5W-30
Above 0 F 10W-30
CAPACITIES: With filter 7.8 quarts
TORQUES: Oil Drain Plug...18 ft/lbs
FILTER: FRAM XG8A

I switched to thicker oil about a month ago under the recommendation of a mechanic because I thought my oil pressure was low. Turns out it was likely just the fact that the factory oil pressure sensor is a joke. I was paranoid.

Running 10W-40, the truck has never ran a thick oil, it idles at about 1300rpm at start, idles a bit rough, and is a bit sluggish in gear. Everything was perfectly normal and great before going to a 40 weight oil.

Last edited:
Just sold my '97 LX450 (FZJ80) after a year of ripping it around several states and amassing 40K in that timeframe. I had great success using a 40wt oil. The loss in MPG is negligible between the 30 and 40wt, but the 1FZ-FE seemed to drink less of the 40wt. I have run the Mobil One M1-209 filter on anything Toyota from the 22RE to the 4.7 V8. That filter did a great job on the 1FZ-FE as well. Changed it out every third oil change.

Originally Posted By: Hdzx
...and a Toyota YZZD3 oil filter. I have been disappointed by the quality and construction of these Toyota filters since they switched from the Japanese made 20004 Denso filter. They certainly get the job done, but they seem to be a pretty basic filter.

I used to buy those foam filters on the gray market from Carson Toyota. But I finally realized that since there was no filtration data for them anywhere, the only thing I was going on was that they looked "cool". I eventually tired of spending extra for a cool filter, and I've gotten the subsequent 300,000 miles on my old 1MZ-FE by using the "pretty basic" Thai filters.

The D3 is still a very good filter and can be used with complete confidence. I don't question the quality of Toyota filters ever. Meanwhile aftermarkets I inspect closely for imperfections prior to installing.

If you want the best filtration there is, look no further than the Fram Ultra. I have one ready to go on my Tacoma next oil change after several successful runs of the D3. I will be running the larger XG3600 because it will allow me to dump an even 6 quarts in the sump. Same reason I used the D3 prior was not to have to deal with an extra half quart laying around. I don't think there is a proven benefit of running an oversize filter, however and that's the only reason I do it. The bypass valve settings are the same on the larger one and the correct one recommended by Fram.

The oil you are running is an excellent choice, although, I'd favor Castrol more personally over Chevron. Can't go wrong with either, though. Shell products are great too.

Threads like this definitely remind me of how a simple OTC oil like Motorcraft in a weight you think is non-descript being it is not a 30 or even a 40 weight, a measely 20 weight and a 5w-20 at that could go so hard. SMH, smh, SMH,! I am repping Motorcraft 5w-20. no longer the price daring it once was but a readily available OTC that ran well in a Honda V6 similar in hp to your Toyota. I remember it's quick warm-up in winter conditions but it just was slick and ran well. good FE too.

Last edited:
Use the Wix 51516 if you want increased capacity (or Napa Gold 1516).

I run it on a 5VZ-FE and a 1GR-FE and it's a great filter - fully compatible with threads and diameter of a YZZD3 (I've run lots of those over the years too).

Chevron is fine. GTX is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back