budget car battery recommendation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for a new battery for my 2011 Cruze with 204k miles. Six year old AC Delco wouldn't crank it over this morning. At over 30k miles/year I can't see putting a $150+ premium battery in this car but don't want a piece of junk either. Hoping for a decent one for $100 or less. Might try an Exide from Rural King but wonder if they are made in USA or not.

What is your favorite budget/value battery for high mileage car?

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
For a FEW dollars over $100 you would get the walmart everstart. Much better battery and warranty.

I agree.

Firestone/Interstate.

Buy online and there is a 15% discount/google the coupon. It includes installation, which with some creative clicking or calling the store, you can get a $15 discount for declining. You are now at about $100 or a little under; this is for the regular MegaTron and not the MTP. The MTP is only a little more though and I think worth it.

I have done this twice in the last few years when I needed batteries and it has been the best deal by far. The number of stories on Costco and Walmart batteries failing and going back is a little too high for my comfort zone. And $50 saved on a battery can cost you $200 in towing 24 months later when the plate cracks and shorts out and the car isn't moving from the interstate exit-ramp until the battery is replaced. BTDT.

At Home Depot they may sell an Exide battery that has a 40 month free replacement warranty... For $99. A common sized group 24 costs $99 there. May well be worth a look into that if you have a HD nearby.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
For a FEW dollars over $100 you would get the walmart everstart. Much better battery and warranty.

I agree.

For a few dollar over a $100 you could be a Diehard that would probably live as long as the car. With a better warranty.

You don’t live in the heat, so batteries last a long time regardless.

The $49 Walmart battery, if available in your size, would work great.

I’ve got them in 2 cars, no issues so far.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
For a few dollar over a $100 you could be a Diehard that would probably live as long as the car. With a better warranty.

My diehard went dead at 3.5 years. I got 7 years before that.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
You don’t live in the heat, so batteries last a long time regardless.

The $49 Walmart battery, if available in your size, would work great.

I’ve got them in 2 cars, no issues so far.

How long have you had those $49 batteries?

I agree.

+1 - Walmart Everstart MAXX, made by JCI last I looked around NY.

I did the cheap walmart battery for my old X-Type (really a Ford Contour) . That battery was not worth the $49 I paid for it.

The battery's power lasted over a year, but the terminal very rapidly corroded under the connector. Repaired it with a screw by drilling a hole, running a 10/32 tap into it, then attaching the lug back on to the battery with a stainless machine screw. Worked fine for a short while after that. But the corrosion continued unabated.

Replaced it with a Costco battery. No problems at all.

As stated already, get the cheap Wal-Mart value power. I have run these in several cars and they have lasted 5+ years just fine. I have one in my mr2 right now and it starts every day in 100f or -5f.

I agree.

+1 especially if covering that much ground.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

My diehard went dead at 3.5 years. I got 7 years before that.

Do you think you should re-read that post?

If you want really cheap go to a scrap yard with a battery tester and see what they have. Whatever gives you the best on the snap back test, take that one.
thumbsup2.gif

Otherwise for new I would go to Walmart.

My Sams Club carries the Duracell car batteries made by East Penn (USA made). Picked one up for right around $100.00 for my son's 2004 Buick Rendezvous with 200000 miles at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back