Wagner OEX Brake Pad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need rear brakes on my 08 Liberty, and while I'm at it I will be swapping out the rotors. Jeeps seem to have an appetite for rear brakes, and living on Long Island doesn't help. I used AAP Wearever Gold brakes the last time and wasn't impressed, so this time around I thought I'd try the Wagner OEX. I read a few good reviews, and recall someone saying they were very good. I was looking for feedback from people who actually used them. TIA

The OEX is supposed to be a good set of pads. Anything specifically designed for truck/SUV use should serve you well. Remember that they are still relatively new, so you won't see many long-term results/reviews.

As far as rotors go, get the Wagner E-coated rotor (part number ending in E). Coated rotors are a very good idea in the northeast or anywhere you get lots of rust. Non-coated rotors rust overnight!

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Just Curious why you don't like the wearever gold pads I have them on my suv and they work great and are quiet...

They didn't last nearly as long as OE and they ate up the rotors quite a bit more than I'm used to seeing. I caught them in plenty of time, but I want to change them while the weather is still good. I've used them before with good results on other vehicles, but I have a feeling they aren't that good on this application, and I want to give the OEX a try.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The OEX is supposed to be a good set of pads. Anything specifically designed for truck/SUV use should serve you well. Remember that they are still relatively new, so you won't see many long-term results/reviews.

As far as rotors go, get the Wagner E-coated rotor (part number ending in E). Coated rotors are a very good idea in the northeast or anywhere you get lots of rust. Non-coated rotors rust overnight!

I realize they're a fairly new product. I was hoping with the large population here a few people used them. I should have my coated rotors tomorrow, and hope to do the job Sunday.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
How is OEX compare to ThermoQuiet?

Totally different pad. Both GG friction ratings but the OEX use a traditional metal shim design.

OEX is the top wagner brake pads, but if you can get Akebonos, they are even better than the Wagners. If you need stopping power look at the Wagner Severe Duty. Commerial vans and police interceptors use them, but they are semi-metallic.. Make sure to get good coated rotors too. Federal Mogul makes most of the brake rotors and pads for Wagner and pads for Akebono.

Slacker... Waiting until Sunday
smile.gif

The OEX's uses a dual shim design almost similar to most OEM brake pads. Importantly they are riveted since I've seen where the shims can slide off on floating caliper designs. This is my setup for the rear brakes on the Silverado:

pOqwxSr.jpg

Previous setup were oreilly rotors and Wagner TQ's. I was getting sick of the brake squeal and tried every possible solution to silence them and after the last solution failed that was it, those pads are coming off.

I still have the TQ's on the front but I'm waiting until I get my 17" Suburban wheels installed so I can do the 03-06 front brake conversion which uses a bigger rotor and caliper.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Slacker... Waiting until Sunday
smile.gif

That's just how things fell this week.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Originally Posted By: PandaBear
How is OEX compare to ThermoQuiet?

Totally different pad. Both GG friction ratings but the OEX use a traditional metal shim design.

Are these GG ratings across the board? I thought I've seen different ratings for different applications, not sure.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
OEX is the top wagner brake pads, but if you can get Akebonos, they are even better than the Wagners. If you need stopping power look at the Wagner Severe Duty. Commerial vans and police interceptors use them, but they are semi-metallic.. Make sure to get good coated rotors too. Federal Mogul makes most of the brake rotors and pads for Wagner and pads for Akebono.

Put the OEX and Coated Rotors on my Wife's 13 Malibu and just had a rear wheel off to replace a wheel bearing and they looked very good.
About 10 K on them.
I have used the Akebonos and they were also very good and would buy either.

Upstate New York Winters kill brakes and wheel bearings with the liquid calcium.....
The State guys say that now you can hear your car rust as you drive...

I am just giving you a hard time. Not being serious at all my friend. I know how hard you run yourself and that you work very hard too.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Coated rotors rust overnight also, because as soon as you use the brakes on a coated rotor, the pads will scrub off the coating, leaving bare metal exposed to the climate. It's the non-contact areas that will resist corrosion on coated rotors for a certain period of time.

I was turned off by Wagner brakes after seeing how thermoquiets aren't so quiet after miles get on them. On two occasions and 2 different vehicles I witnessed the brake caliper piston cutting thru the pad's rubber "anti noise" backing and that just made brake noise. I see the new OEX line has more traditional metal backing plates which I like because you can coat them with brake lube and they stay quiet...the thermoquiets specifically say NOT to use brake lube on the rubber backing.

My personal brake favorites are Raybestos Advanced Technology and EHT line along with Duralast Gold and cMax lines.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I am just giving you a hard time. Not being serious at all my friend. I know how hard you run yourself and that you work very hard too.

I know.
11.gif

Cool deal sir. I wasn't sure if what I put there came across right. I didn't want to seem like a horses rear end. If you were near me of have do that kind of work on my car. Payment would be a spiral smoked ham off the grill using Kingsford and real hickory wood chunks. Also a real deal smoked ham that took 3 hrs to do it. Plus a glaze of real maple syrup, organic brown sugar, clove, cinnamon, and a bit of nutmeg brushed on each slice of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back