She still lives! Expedition spotted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Many will recall my wife and I divesting ourselves of our 2002 Expedition Eddie Bauer with ~300,000Km on it sometime in 2016 when we picked up the Durango. I've seen the old girl a few times since, however today I was behind it in the drive-through at Tim Hortons and figured I'd snap a pic, as my wife still misses it.

The new owner has replaced the Mobil 1 sticker on the rear window with an "All Balls Racing" sticker, and looks like he picked up some F-150 wheels with LT tires on them to replace the bald LTX's that were on it when we sold it. Sounded good still, and it was really nice to see somebody getting some solid use out of it
thumbsup2.gif

I remember back in the late 90s I sold my '87 Olds Toronado to a girl at work,her son needed a car. Fast forward a few years and I get this letter in the mail from the Houston police,saying it had been impounded and will be auctioned off if I don't pay the impound fees and come get it. It had 350,000 miles on it when I sold it to her,so after a few years,there's no telling what kind've shape it was in. I didn't give it a second thought.

I sold my high school car, a Hyundai something or other, for $500 to some guy that said he was going to ship it to the Caribbean where he could sell it and quadruple his money. FOUR YEARS later the Orlando police department calls me and tells me to come get my flaming car out of a ditch. I told them I sold the car years prior and have no use for a flaming car. They were satisfied with the explanation, and I never heard about it again.

I traded my 2005 Honda Accord into a dealer in 2010 for my Acura. I saw that same Honda on the interstate a few years ago several hundred miles away from where it was traded in. I know it was the same exact car because it had a very distinctive scratch on the roof when the wife crashed into the garage door that was closing.

I trust you took the plates off the Toronado and the Houston P.D. got your name via the VIN.

The question is, why didn't the DMV search come up with the coworker's son's name?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I sold my high school car, a Hyundai something or other, for $500 to some guy that said he was going to ship it to the Caribbean where he could sell it and quadruple his money. FOUR YEARS later the Orlando police department calls me and tells me to come get my flaming car out of a ditch. I told them I sold the car years prior and have no use for a flaming car. They were satisfied with the explanation, and I never heard about it again.

I traded my 2005 Honda Accord into a dealer in 2010 for my Acura. I saw that same Honda on the interstate a few years ago several hundred miles away from where it was traded in. I know it was the same exact car because it had a very distinctive scratch on the roof when the wife crashed into the garage door that was closing.

Reminds me of my old F-250 with the 302HO swap. I sold it to a roofer for cash, he never transferred it into his name. I got a call from the OPP that my truck was stuck, out of gas, halfway up the local ski hill, and wanted to have a talk. I told them I sold it quite a while prior and had the bill of sale handy if they wanted to see it. They were satisfied with my explanation and I heard nothing further from it. No idea where that truck is now, probably in the wreckers.

It’s always cool to see a previously owned car out and about.

Last fall I saw my 97’ Camry a few times on the same road, I recognized the cheap paint job, cracked front bumper, and rust in the LR wheel well (no rusty cars here).

A couple years ago my brother and I found my dad’s 93 GMC behind a chain link fence at an auction yard, it was t-boned. My dad heavily customized it, lowered, custom wheels, custom red paint job, custom bumper and tonneau cover etc. He had sold that truck 9 years before.

Also saw his Duramax on the freeway 3-4 years after he traded it.

Originally Posted By: Kira
I trust you took the plates off the Toronado and the Houston P.D. got your name via the VIN.

The question is, why didn't the DMV search come up with the coworker's son's name?

Because the son was a dirt-bag and never registered the car. So he drove it around, never registered, never insured, and probably just attached a stolen or borrowed license plate. The VIN will show the previous owner, even years later, because the new owner never turned the title in to register it in their name.

When I was a patrol officer in the ghetto, AT LEAST 30% of the cars on the road were unregistered, uninsured, and un-plated. You'd run the tag and it would come back to a red 1994 Honda although the car was a blue 1989 Toyota.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Because the son was a dirt-bag and never registered the car. So he drove it around, never registered, never insured, and probably just attached a stolen or borrowed license plate.

This. The dude was a total no-count.

My brother sold his old ragged out Silverado to a Mexican dude that didn't speak of a word of English for cash. Sometime later he has a warrant for his arrest for unpaid parking tickets haha

My parents traded their 04 Jeep on a lemon 2008. A few years later we saw it pop up at a Ford dealer. Was definitely the same Jeep - had some "custom" mirrors on it that we had and our spare key that we kept worked in it
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Many will recall my wife and I divesting ourselves of our 2002 Expedition Eddie Bauer with ~300,000Km on it sometime in 2016 when we picked up the Durango. I've seen the old girl a few times since, however today I was behind it in the drive-through at Tim Hortons and figured I'd snap a pic, as my wife still misses it.

The new owner has replaced the Mobil 1 sticker on the rear window with an "All Balls Racing" sticker, and looks like he picked up some F-150 wheels with LT tires on them to replace the bald LTX's that were on it when we sold it. Sounded good still, and it was really nice to see somebody getting some solid use out of it
thumbsup2.gif

Good to see it in good hands and not smashed up. BTW that's my favorite Metallica song, "For Whom The Bell Tolls."

Originally Posted By: anndel

thumbsup2.gif

Good to see it in good hands and not smashed up. BTW that's my favorite Metallica song, "For Whom The Bell Tolls."

thumbsup2.gif
If you haven't heard the version in question, I highly recommend it, one of my favourites.

I've seen bunches of my old vehicles. Sometimes in the junkyard. One truck junked 5-ish years after I sold it for $1500. My death's door Saturn 15 months later in a parking lot. My olds silhouette van and a cutlass cruiser on craigslist. A truck I "junked" (dodgy frame etc) wound up on craigslist.
mad.gif

Ive run across our '07 matrix we traded in when our family outgrew it a few times. It only had 45k miles on it so it had lots of life left. It was one of 2500 of some kinda special edition and bright blue so it stood out.
We both miss that little car

thumbsup2.gif
If you haven't heard the version in question, I highly recommend it, one of my favourites.

What version is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back