What would your choice of a daily driver be...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...if you were to buy one today? I might be in the market for a new daily driver for a suburban retiree situation. Budget aside (since I’m seeing what you would get for youself), there are lots of choices. What would you choose and why if you went car shopping this afternoon?

So many things out there... I have been digging the Ford Fusion sport lately. I think some reports say its not as much an all out sports sedan as much as a fully capable sedan with great features and power. Great styling, AWD, gobs of power. And from my research a pretty reliable transmission. I'm seeing them in my area for 28k. Of course you can get an AWD fusion with the 2.0 4 cylinder turbo for less. That might be my pick for a fun, practical daily.

Something cheap that gives good/great gas mileage. Doesn't make sense to me to buy a $30k new car that'll get me 10-15 more mpgs over what I'm getting already. Comfort would be second and most cars with the right seat adjustments will give you just that so you can add that to the list.

If a small car will do, ie you don't need a lot of storage or hauling capability, it is hard to beat the Toyota Corolla. One of the best selling cars for decades and always top review for reliability etc. in the April issue of Consumer Reports each year. I have found Toyota's to be dependable, very cheap to own and maintain (never any major maintenance), quite luxurious now, and we got 40+ mpg on our 2015 S model on a recent road trip! We got our new one loaded for less than 18k USD.

I also like the Subaru Outback especially if you ever envision driving on snow or ice as it has probably the best AWD system out there. Plus I love that it is a hatchback style. Also great reviews on CR but more expensive than the Corolla (mid twenties for base model) and mid twenties at best on mpg.

Its funny, up here a used Fiesta ST and an ATS with a manual are about the same price, so one of those for me. Should be fun autocrossers and still cheap to buy and run. I might be told to settle for a 2.3 or 2.5 Mazda3, but that's wouldn't be too bad either.
In Texas, why not a Mustang? Even the V6 is plenty quick and new ones are cheap for the fun factor.

Abram tank
Traffic backed up?
Eh...
39.gif

I just chose an 06 Scion xB shipping crate with my pocketbook. Paid cash.

It's supposed to be a young person's vehicle but it has a manual transmission and does not have a lot of stuff young people demand like heated seats/steering wheel, NAV, lane keeping, adaptive cruise control and other stuff like that. It's just a self-propelled shipping crate.

It had 131K on the clock and I plan to add more than double that. It's powered by possibly the most widely used gas engine in the automotive world, the 2NZ-FE 1.5L. Parts to keep it running in the future should be no problem. Simple and small is good.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
So many things out there... I have been digging the Ford Fusion sport lately. I think some reports say its not as much an all out sports sedan as much as a fully capable sedan with great features and power. Great styling, AWD, gobs of power. And from my research a pretty reliable transmission. I'm seeing them in my area for 28k. Of course you can get an AWD fusion with the 2.0 4 cylinder turbo for less. That might be my pick for a fun, practical daily.

HH: We think alike.....I like the Fusion a lot...

2004 Saturn L300 wagon, 4 cylinder model. 35 mpg highway, 24 mpg city, plenty of room for fishing or hunting gear and they were pretty good little cars. A friend had a sedan and put about 250,000 miles on it. But I do have a thing for old station wagons.

For the only car in the household? Retired rental Corolla or Yaris.

For the 2nd car that only does local short trip, Nissan Leaf 11-12 with reduced battery capacity.

Cherokee SRT...if I could.

I'm hapy with my dual cab Colorado with canopy on the back (dual compartment station wagon).

Love driving it.

I'd find a new leftover 2017 Toyota Camry.
They are a comfortable,decent riding and driving sedan.
A decently equipped one can be had for This car presents a solid value proposition.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Me? I'd look at an Acura ILX.

I forgot to add why. I'd choose it because it looks good, handles good, has the right balance of power and fuel economy and is engaging to drive.

Realistic -- brand spanking new 2018 Toyota Camry XLE Hybrid. If money was not an issue -- Dodge Challenger Demon or any SRT Mopar built product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back