Race Ramp Question/Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all:

I know car ramps have been discussed often here but this looks to be a new question...

I'm looking at a pair of either 56" or 67" Race Ramps. They come in either a two-piece version or one piece version. The two-piece allows one to remove the first piece after driving up the ramps so that a person can work on the car from the side. I don't anticipate ever having to do anything but simple oil changes with these ramps BUT I was wondering if the two-piece version might be advisable for the sole purpose of allowing jack stands to be inserted under the pinch welds for extra safety. Then again, anyone removing the first piece and working from the side wouldn't be able to place jack stands under the pinch weld anyway.

Would this be a compelling reason for you folks to get the two piece version? Price difference is about 25 to 45 USD. Of course, then you would need to keep track of four pieces in the garage instead on two pieces for what it's worth.

Thanks

traditionally the two piece are for extemely low cars. They're designed to give you enough clearance to get a jack under the vehicle (which is why the second piece comes out) and go from there. The other possible advantage is more storage configurations.
Otherwise, if 8 inches of extra clearance gets you under the vehicle, kudos to you my friend.

the main issue I've always had with ramps is that I'm usually working alone and am deathly afraid of driving off one or both of them.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I'm asking if a compelling reason for the two-piece variety is the ability to use additional jack stands for safety purposes.

Happy 67" owner here. Get the 2 piece type. Easier to handle and store. You may think you will only do oil changes but the partial removable feature is so handy and you will see why when you want access for other jobs, or just inspection underneath. Used Rhino for years, these are pricey but worth it. The 2 extra inches of height may seem small, but it is huge. Not just for low cars, great for all types. Jack stands is just another reason.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NissanMaxima
Just to be clear, I'm asking if a compelling reason for the two-piece variety is the ability to use additional jack stands for safety purposes.

Yes, I understand that - and no. it's not. If you have jack stands that fit under the vehicle there's still no way to load them properly unless you have a way to lower the vehicle on top of them or have screw-type adjustment stands that are short enough to fit under the vehicle. A jack stand freely standing under the frame/body does nothing for safety. Otherwise, what reason would there be to use jack stands? you use stands with a jack because it's a hydraulic piston and can fail or leak. A solid stationary ramp already serves this purpose.

The best reason for getting 67 inch 2 piece is so you can get them ramp out of the way. I really like mine, and no worry about needing jack stands, just chock the wheels. I use mine mostly for a C5 vette, and the low approach angle it makes it much easier with a clutch. Then I can get the rear up with a floor jack, and 2 jack stands. The oil filter is near the rear of the front tire, and would be much harder with a 1 piece ramp. Just put a big note on the steering wheel to double check both extension's are in place before backing down!

Originally Posted By: HorseThief
Originally Posted By: NissanMaxima

Yes, I understand that - and no. it's not. If you have jack stands that fit under the vehicle there's still no way to load them properly unless you have a way to lower the vehicle on top of them or have screw-type adjustment stands that are short enough to fit under the vehicle. A jack stand freely standing under the frame/body does nothing for safety. Otherwise, what reason would there be to use jack stands? you use stands with a jack because it's a hydraulic piston and can fail or leak. A solid stationary ramp already serves this purpose.

I thought it was good practice to use jack stands in addition to ramps when possible. I understand the jack stands would not be loaded with vehicle weight, but I thought it might be wise to sort of tap them into place under the pinch welds in case the ramps would fail for any reason. This is probably highly unlikely as these are solid core.

Originally Posted By: Traction
The best reason for getting 67 inch 2 piece is so you can get them ramp out of the way. I really like mine, and no worry about needing jack stands, just chock the wheels. I use mine mostly for a C5 vette, and the low approach angle it makes it much easier with a clutch. Then I can get the rear up with a floor jack, and 2 jack stands. The oil filter is near the rear of the front tire, and would be much harder with a 1 piece ramp. Just put a big note on the steering wheel to double check both extension's are in place before backing down!

I'm debating between the 56" and the 67". They said the 67" is really designed for low riding bumpers on sports car. I'll we using the ramps for a Corolla and a Maxima. Do you think the 56" will be sufficient? It says the approach angles are the same at 10.8 degrees. The 67" model supports up to 12" wide wheels and does go to 10" high (vs. 8") but not sure I need either. By the way, my Maxima has manual transmission but since the approach angles are the same, it shouldn't matter when using a clutch how long they are, right? I mean, you will never be letting out the clutch fully even with the longer ones.

I have the 56" ramps and the extenders as well. The extenders make it much easier to drive the car up the ramps (approach angle of 6.6 degrees). I used the ramps for my Shelby GT500 with a manual transmission in the past. You are correct that you will never let the clutch out fully. Never used jack stands with any ramps in 50 years of working on cars and trucks. Chock the rear wheels and you are good to go.

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/garage-and-service-ramps/xtenders/

Last edited:
I'm debating between the 56" and the 67". They said the 67" is really designed for low riding bumpers on sports car. I'll we using the ramps for a Corolla and a Maxima. Do you think the 56" will be sufficient? It says the approach angles are the same at 10.8 degrees. The 67" model supports up to 12" wide wheels and does go to 10" high (vs. 8") but not sure I need either. By the way, my Maxima has manual transmission but since the approach angles are the same, it shouldn't matter when using a clutch how long they are, right? I mean, you will never be letting out the clutch fully even with the longer ones. [/quote]

Thought I had the 67". I have the RR 56-2 the 2 piece - only way to go - and wonder why I didn't buy it sooner. The 67" would be overkill for you. The extra width and 8" height is really nice. You will have these much longer than those cars. Plan ahead for future cars. You will be surprised how light in weight they are. Light but not cheap quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: user52165

I'm debating between the 56" and the 67". They said the 67" is really designed for low riding bumpers on sports car. I'll we using the ramps for a Corolla and a Maxima. Do you think the 56" will be sufficient?

Absolutely! I have the 56" model and even with my Corvette being lowered one inch from the factory ride height, I still have clearance going up these ramps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back