My experience with Seafoam

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 206,000 miles on my 03 CRV, I am using about 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles. I read a lot about people using Seafoam to free up stuck rings and clean out carbon from the combustion chambers. I figured, "what the heck, for a few dollars I'll try it". Yesterday I poured about 1/3 a bottle of Seafoam into my power brake vacuum port with the engine at about 1,200 rpm. I poured it in slowly as the engine almost died a couple times. It took me a few minutes to pour in 1/3 of the bottle as white smoke filled the parking lot. I did this in the O'Reilly Auto Parts parking lot and nobody even gave me a second look. I waited 15 minutes and drove off leaving the whole neighborhood clouded in white smoke.

When I got home I changed the oil and could smell the Seafoam odor from the valve cover when I took off the oil fill cap so obviously Seafoam worked its way into the crankcase.

This morning I drove the CRV around and could tell by my seat of the pants dyno that I don't press so deep into the gas pedal to move the vehicle. I would say I have less of a lag in acceleration. I believe this means I cleaned carbon from stuck rings and the rings are now doing a better job at sealing compression in the combustion chamber. Hopefully the oil control rings will seal better whereby they will prevent oil from entering the combustion chamber. I'll keep an eye on the oil level and keep my fingers crossed.

1*6k7-t4XHg74vJhMfJpDouw.jpeg

I have a car in a similar situation and I am very sceptical of any "cure in a bottle" but I just recently used seafoam to soak the pistons. Makes sense it could work if the problem is stuck rings but I'll have to wait and see if the oil consumption drops. There's a sucker born every minute.

There was a post yesterday about pouring a gallon of general purpose degreaser into the oil, run for a short period and then follow it with a Quart of M1 and a whole bottle of MMO to polish the engine internals.

You should try this and post a video, I hear it works wonders.
lol.gif

J/K. Thanks for posting your experience with Seafoam, I would be interested to hear if it helped with your oil consumption.
thumbsup2.gif

I've used it once in my oil letting the engine idle for a half hour, then changing it all out...looking at the oil afterwards It definitely cleans an engine...just not sure if it can do more harm then good, what does it do for the seals and gaskets, bearings ect...
21.gif

Water seems to work.

Brake fluid might work too, but might be best used before an oil change, in case it gets into the sump.

Seafoam and B12 seem to work well for OPE for me. I have three chainsaws two of which came my way free. I used Seafoam this time to clean up the carbs and was able to get the two non-running machines going. I've also used Amsoil Powerfoam with good results for cleaning OPE carbs and piston tops up.

Id probably look at having the pcv valve replaced first (if serviceable) before I went the seafoam route to decrease oil consumption. This seems to have worked for many in the past including myself.

02-03 CRV's with the K24 were infamous for oil consumption. My 03 had 180k on it and ate a quart of oil ever 500 miles. It ran great and didn't smoke at all but eventually the CAT began clogging and the 02 sensor failed leaving a constant CEL on. The oil control rings were the culprit in these and nothing you do will help it, trust me I tried!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back