Quick question radiator d&f w/ pressurized tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey bitog.

First time working on a system with a pressurized tank (no radiator cap), in this case 09 Equinox. Though not my preferred procedure, 'this time' I'm just wanting to do a single radiator d&f.

So the question is, is draining and filling through the tank the same as if it had a radiator cap? In other words, the tank will drain with the radiator, and fill the radiator after it's empty. Am I missing anything? Don't want mess with upper rad hose removal for fill as it's obstructed by battery and compartment.

As an aside, tried using the petcock with quarter turn counter clockwise with tank cap off, nothing. Don't want to mess with it more as research indicates it's easily broken (~$24+ to replace). So before I pull the lower radiator hose want know if sebsequent fill process with be seamless. Also I'm hoping cap off tank procedure will work to bleed system as the one bleeder valve looks really flimsy and some research indicates it's easily broken too.

If it's anything like most newer GMs, it will be a royal PITA! Everytime I do any cooling system work on my parents Impala, I have to buy a new drainplug, and it's darn near impossible to get the air out without a vacuum filling system.

I'd pull the lower hose if it's accessible; if not, buy a new drainplug before you do it. Also, buy a Lisle Spill free funnel to hook onto the overflow tank to get air out, as you'll likely have to have the cap off and wait till the thermostat opens to purge the big air pockets, and it'll blow up everywhere without the Lisle funnel.

Thanks Drew. Pulled the lower rad hose, poured out and tank just about empty empty. Too bad petcock didn't work, would have been less messy but that's ok. Really the Dex didn't look too bad so single d&f may be appropriate. Now just hope fill goes as smoothly. Going to measure how much came out so have an idea what should go back.

Got to get back to it as replacing tstat and coolant temp sensor while I'm at it. We'll see how it goes with the refill and burp.

Edit. Your link looks for newer generation, 09 and some of that generation Equinox threads indicate fill through tank will work. Fingers crossed.

If you have any trouble purging air, remember the Lisle funnel! I'm telling you, that thing has been a life saver for me on stubborn hard to bleed cooling systems like the Impala. Just don't fill the system too much so there's room for expansion in the funnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back