Walking Dead Season 8 Premeire - SlingTV Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was all set to take in the much anticipated Season 8 Premiere of AMC's hit series, The Walking Dead, last night. SlingTV working fine, had been watching ESPN Sport Ctr earlier, then some Crimson Tide starring Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington, and then the final episode of Walking Dead season 7 that ran 7-8pm CST. No problems.

Then the little countdown preview screen is on AMC about 8pm ticking off the seconds until the new episode. And.... boom. Black screen, spinning circle on the television. Switch to phone, same thing. Switch to laptop, same thing. Then a sling TV notice pops up "oops, technical difficulties error 10-104" or some similar number sequence. Are you freaking kidding me? Jacked with it for 20 minutes rebooted laptop, phone, Chromecast, and couldn't get a stream for AMC. Guessing sling's AMC stream got overloaded, because was able to switch to other channels and that content streamed ok during the incident.

Not a tv watcher much, but Walking Dead is the one show I have followed.

Cancelled my sling subscription. Might re-up, might not. Depends on how bad I want to watch my one and only show next weekend . . .

No way to prove it but people have claimed unexplained problems attempting to use third party suppliers on the ISP's backbone. For example, Comcast. In theory, they could throttle back or block known ports a sling box may use to stream if you exceed bandwidth. You only have dedicated bandwidth from the pole to your house. The rest is shared down the street. If they sense you consuming huge bandwidth streaming sling, they could throttle you back, make the box hang. Again, no proof but I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back