2017 F150 stx with 2.7 Ecoboost oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I recently bought a new 2017 F-150 with the 2.7 ecoboost. I am getting close to my first oil change and I would like some oil recommendations. The owners manual suggests “premium full synthetic 5W20.” The truck is used for a lot of short trips throughout the week with one or two longer tips (100 miles round trip). We also use the truck for traveling Simi-regularly.i live in Deep South Texas close to Corpus Christi where it gets real hot and not very cold. I don’t use the truck for hauling or pulling, but I do have a tendency to put the pedal down. Average highway speed is 80.

I’ve been thinking about Royal Purple just because I know a guy who is a mechanic for the border patrol down here and he said they use it for their trucks and suv’s With 16,000 mile oil change intervals. However, they change the filter every 4,000 I believe.

What I’m looking for is something that will give me great protection for the Turbos and auto start/stop.

If it was my truck, 5,000 mile oil change intervals with Pennzoil Platinum (or similar top tier syn). I wouldn't let the truck oil reminder dictate my oil change interval. The oil change reminder probably pushes it to 10,000 miles. Ford doesn't care once you're past warranty. Trust that, I know from (plenty of) experience.

I'm surprised that Ford calls for 5w20 in a turbo'd engine.....they want 5w30 in their Focus ST.
I would use any name brand 5w20 synthetic sold at Walmart and change it every 5 or 6K. I might switch to 5w30 after warranty in your hot climate (depending on UOA results)
Even Walmart's own synthetic should be good for that mileage.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I'm surprised that Ford calls for 5w20 in a turbo'd engine.....they want 5w30 in their Focus ST.
I would use any name brand 5w20 synthetic sold at Walmart and change it every 5 or 6K. I might switch to 5w30 after warranty in your hot climate (depending on UOA results)

I'm surprised too with the 5W20 spec. I'd probably opt for 5W30 if it were mine.

Reread the manual carefully and use what oil spec the manual specs. 5W-20 is NOT the recommended viscosity. Syn or semi syn the results will be the same.

I believe the 2.7 requires 5W-30. Ford discovered that the turbocharged engines have very high internal loads and high localized oil temperatures. The best choice will be a full synthetic, name brand oil that is available everywhere. I use 10W-30 Mobil 1 EP in my 3.5 ecoboost with very good results. I'm in South Florida where it never gets cold, so a 5 viscosity oil is not necessary.

Ford requires 5w30. Says "Synthetic Blend." I've had great success with Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic in my 2.7.

Even the Mobil site specs 0/5W-30 oils. I believe the 5W-20 is for the NA 3.5(non turbo)engine. It's the same with my 2017 Explorer, the two turbo engines spec 5W-30 and the non turbo 3.5 specs 5W-20. As for the iOLM system it seems to click down 10% of oil life for every 1,000 miles driven. It doesn't seem to matter what the season or the type of driving.

Whimsey

I understand that the 2018 spec allows 0w30. If that spec is backward applicable to 2017, you might think about M1 0w30 AFE. Check it out to make sure the spec is backward compatible for your vehicle first. If not, like PBM said any syn/synblend at Walmart (motorcraft, Pennzoil, Valvoline, etc) and a good filter should serve you well.

I really liked the QSUD 10w30 I last used. Latest Castrol Magnatec Synthetic 5w30 is stunning also. This all tried in a non turbo app.

Everything else - ho hum as far as power and seat-of-the-pants responsiveness goes.

Gasoline quality is paramount also to a continued good running engine.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Me too...I thought the EB engines in trucks were all 5w30...in fact after a short internet search, they ARE specified for 5w30...as also reflected in the numerous posts above.

And especially since OP said:

Originally Posted By: Wojo
The truck is used for a lot of short trips throughout the week ...
I live in Deep South Texas close to Corpus Christi where it gets real hot...
... I do have a tendency to put the pedal down. Average highway speed is 80.

I'd go with 5w30 anyway with the fuel dilution, high temps and heavy usage. Maybe a light 40 grade oil

It's true that any name brand oil will protect well - it's just choosing the correct interval for that oil in your vehicle. RP has been shown to not be the best for extended intervals (couldn't find the threads) by UOA. Wojo if you want the longer interval of 15k you're looking at Amsoil or M1 EP. No need to change the filter every few thousand either, get yourself a Fram Ultra or Amsoil which will be good for at least 15k.

Last edited:
Check out KJ Smith in the UOA section. He used Magnatec in a 3.5 EB F150 out to 10k miles and gets what I think is a great report. Currently using in the wife’s ‘17 EB Expedition.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...-CA_12_2016.pdf
page 392 - for the 2.7 EB (same goes for the 3.5L EB, on page 401)
Specifically requires "WSS-M2C946-A". That is a 5w-30 lube spec. IT IS NOT, REPEAT NOT, A SPEC FOR ANY KIND OF SYN, SEMI-SYN, ETC.

I would use a lube that meets that spec, and follow the IOLM while under warranty. There are, despite the fear mongering, several conventional lubes that meet that spec including Mobil Super, Valvoline, Pennzoil, etc. These carry the official Ford license for that specification. There are certainly semi-syn and full syn lubes that also meet that spec. But as long as the lubes meet that spec, they will do fine. Ford does NOT specify using a "synthetic" or otherwise. Any lube that meets their spec is assured to do what is needed. Marketing hype will have you believe that a lube needs to be syn for this application. Nothing can be further from the truth.
Can you use a syn? Absolutely yes.
Does you engine require a syn? Absolutely not.

examples here, but not limited to only these ...
http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/b...0-Motor-Oil.pdf
https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Do...10-ac162d889bd3
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-super/mobil-super
https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/5DEAD6CF2F00966880258034005B0DB0/$File/BPXE-AAXEC9.pdf

Last edited:
My take would be to find a 5W30 that satisfies the Ford WSS-M2C946-A spec and also has a dexos1 Gen 2 license #.
Direct Injection Turbo (DIT) engines like ours can be prone to a destructive form of knock called LSPI (Low Speed Pre Ignition).
dexos1 Gen 2 is the only oil standard at this time that includes a test to ensure that the formulation doesn't promote LSPI, of course this is tested in a GM engine. GF6 is supposed to have a similar test in a Ford 2.0l DIT engine, but that standard is much delayed and will not be finalized for quite some time.
There are plenty of oils that meet both specs, M1 5W30 comes to mind right away...of course, following this recommendation will take Motorcraft out of the picture since their oils will never have a dexos1 Gen 2 licenses.

M1 while being a great oil starts out thin and drains out below spec for a 30 wt.

Actually, the Castrol GTX Magnatec 5W30 that seems to have some BITOG cred for EB engines is also going dexos1 Gen 2.
Royal Purple 5W30, too.
Most of the mainstream 0W20, 5W20, and 5W30 oils are going to have Gen 2 licenses. The Ford standard might be less prevalent, but I'd guess the Magnatec 5W30 will meet it...the previous version of the product did, but Castrol's website hadn't been updated with info on the Gen 2 product.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Reread the manual carefully and use what oil spec the manual specs. 5W-20 is NOT the recommended viscosity. Syn or semi syn the results will be the same.

Plugging in 2017 F150 with 2.7 engine, specs 5W30 on Mobil’s site. Castrol Magnatec in 5W30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back