What all-seasons have the best winter traction??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there is an emerging all-weather segment of tires as well, but in the US market, what All-seasons (or all weathers if available here) would you run year round that still had the best winter grip an all season/weather can offer.

Tire rack seemed to rank SOME very few all-seasons at about an 8 out of 10 in the winter traction rating, while most were about a 6. I though perhaps they could be a year round compromise-solution instead of separate winter tires that get a rating of 10 out of 10.

Discuss.

Consumer Reports gave the General RT43 T-rated tire very good marks for winter traction...their tests are rather basic, though.
I think the TR ratings for that tire have all the speed ratings jumbled up together, CR claims that the T version is noticeably better than the higher speed ratings in their winter tests.
I bought these tires for my daughter's car and felt OK with her not running dedicated winter tires because her school would be cancelled on the worst days.

Go with the tire rack tests and the reviews on there. Generally a pretty good estimate of the tire's ability.

I went with Michelin Defender ltx M/S because of my previous experience with the M/S 2 which had the same tread.

I have winter tires on wife's Sienna. They get better traction and STOPPING ability than the ltx M/S on my AWD Equinox.
They are Michelin Ice X 3.

Replacing her worn out all seasons in tge spring with Pirelli P4's because if their wet traction and longevity reviews. Not as good as other tires in winter but don't care since she has the Ice X 3's.

Where abouts do you live. Depends on winter conditions. Deep snow, ice, slush etc.

Again, tire rack reviews are a good barometor in my very humble opinion.

I think there is some overlap between the studdable winter tires(without studs) and all-season in ice traction. Usually the studdable winters have an aggressive snow and slush tread pattern which a normal 5 rib all-season will not come close to matching though.

Depending on the size and price...

I have run Nokian WR G3
There is also Vredestein Quatrac 3 (I think that's the latest one), Toyo Celsius, and the new Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady

What winter conditions? Ice, snow, water wet, dry?
For snow, how thick of the snow?

What kind of car: truck, sedan, minivan, SUV, etc? if it is a truck: small pick up truck, 3/4 ton truck, dually, 18 wheeler?

You need to define your questions specifically.

Last edited:
Too generic a question. For what vehicle and what type of winter?

A subaru would do better with really siped tires for ice traction.. because they wont get stuck in snow unless its deep enough to rip off the bumper.

Something with rwd you would need a very aggressive tread pattern for snow traction so you dont get stuck.

Is it a Seattle winter, Duluth, or virginia? etc.

To generically answer the question a Snowflake/mountain all terrain will generally be pretty good in the winter. Otherwise look for a T or H rated passenger radial that has a decent tread pattern for winter and is rated good in the winter.

Tread depth is a plus although not everything and there are exceptions.

Example I'd prefer a Michelin premier with 5/32 tread depth to an Achillies Radial with 10/32.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Nokian WRG3 or Vredestein Quatrac 5.

Are these even available in the US? Didnt see them on tire rack.

I asked this question in general, but specifically It is for a front drive crossover ~3,700 lbs curb weight using 102H rated tires in a midwestern region that gets lake effect snow from Lake Michigan.

Reports are predicting a snowy winter for us, and perhaps a bit warmer but still below freezing.

I already purchased X-ice's for the wife, but am considering just a really good all season for myself because another grand on snow tires is unsettling. (but probably worth it no doubt)

Thanks!!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Just sayin your winter traction may be better in Phoenix than in Duluth.

A good point, I wonder if you can separate reviews by region...

All season with the Mud & Snow ratings still don't stand a chance in real winter conditions. If it's going to be really nasty weather it's best to have true Winter Tires on.

not knowing what size range your thinking of, in a truck tire the BFG KO2's are a great tire in the snow. one of the best i've ever used. but don't last overly long on a 3/4 ton truck in the summer. but do have great road manners.

for a car, my wife has Michelin defenders on her civic, and with all the siping, they are awesome in the snow n icey roads. and as most will agree, great tire on summer roads as well.

Originally Posted By: SOHCman
I know there is an emerging all-weather segment of tires as well, but in the US market, what All-seasons (or all weathers if available here) would you run year round that still had the best winter grip an all season/weather can offer.

Tire rack seemed to rank SOME very few all-seasons at about an 8 out of 10 in the winter traction rating, while most were about a 6. I though perhaps they could be a year round compromise-solution instead of separate winter tires that get a rating of 10 out of 10.

Discuss.

Not so much a question of: "which one is best?" as a question of: "which one sucks least?"

No all season, save the the Nokian WRG3, has ANYWHERE CLOSE to the winter traction of a winter tire. The rubber compound isn't optimized, the tread pattern isn't.

The very best all season may be rated an "8" by users on a completely subjective, experiential scale which means nothing. Go read Tire Rack's own tests on all seasons vs. winter tires and the best, an "8" in your question, has about twice the stopping distance (on ice) of a true winter tire. That subjective "8" is an objective "5" if you really think about it.

All season tires simply are nowhere close to winter tires in winter performance. Period.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
not knowing what size range your thinking of, in a truck tire the BFG KO2's are a great tire in the snow. one of the best i've ever used. but don't last overly long on a 3/4 ton truck in the summer. but do have great road manners.

for a car, my wife has Michelin defenders on her civic, and with all the siping, they are awesome in the snow n icey roads. and as most will agree, great tire on summer roads as well.

I've had BFG KO2s on my 4 Runner in snow. They suck less than other tires, but they are terrible when compared with, say Bridgestone Winter Duelers (Blizzaks in truck sizes).

The "Mountain" symbol on them is a function of tread void, not actual winter performance.

Dedicated winters are best because the rubber is softer. In making an all weather or all season, the rubber needs to be harder to deal with summer heat so that they dont wear out prematurely. Personally, if you are in an area with not much snow but enough to need something better than all seasons id opt for the nokian all weather tires. Its the only one id consider however, i would expect that they will wear out much sooner than all seasons. I have 2 sets of rims, one OE steel wheels with winter tires and a set of mags with all seasons, I change over the tires myself so no cost for changeovers.

I asked this question in general, but specifically It is for a front drive crossover ~3,700 lbs curb weight using 102H rated tires in a midwestern region that gets lake effect snow from Lake Michigan.

Reports are predicting a snowy winter for us, and perhaps a bit warmer but still below freezing.

I already purchased X-ice's for the wife, but am considering just a really good all season for myself because another grand on snow tires is unsettling. (but probably worth it no doubt)

Thanks!!
smile.gif

In another thread, the Quatrac are listed in their winter printed catalog. Outside of TireRack there are distributors in the US for Vredestein and Nokian.

I know this because I have purchased the Nokian WR G3, as well as the Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSI in the past in NJ/NY

There aren't any Passenger Car types.

For truck tires, any lug tread will handle snow, but many are useless on ice. At a minimum get a M&S rated truck tire, which is as close to "All Season" as you can get.

Thanks!!
smile.gif

Tirerack is not the only place to buy tires.
wink.gif

Yes, both are available in the US.

Honestly, I find the WRG3 better in the winter than the Mich XIce.

Thanks!!
smile.gif

Tirerack is not the only place to buy tires.
wink.gif

Yes, both are available in the US.

Honestly, I find the WRG3 better in the winter than the Mich XIce.

Is that the ice x 3?
The 3's are supposed to be better than the previous ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back