Napa 0W20 Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using some on sale Napa 0W20 oil in a 3.5 V6 Toyota that holds about 6.5 Quarts. The owner's manual says 10,000 miles or 1 yr max interval. I know only a UOA could tell me for sure, but is NAPA Full Synthetic capable of 10,000, 7500, or 5000 intervals? Until this run, I have only used TGMO at 9-10000 miles intervals. Thanks

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24
I am using some on sale Napa 0W20 oil in a 3.5 V6 Toyota that holds about 6.5 Quarts. The owner's manual says 10,000 miles or 1 yr max interval. I know only a UOA could tell me for sure, but is NAPA Full Synthetic capable of 10,000, 7500, or 5000 intervals? Until this run, I have only used TGMO at 9-10000 miles intervals. Thanks

I would more than suspect it is since its made by Valvoline!

I have some NAPA full synthetic in my stash for that very reason.

Last edited:
Whether 5K, 7.5K, or 10K depends more on your usage, environment, and driving style than the oil. But it should be able to handle 1 or more of those. I'm sure the oil is capable of much more than 10K miles if steady highway driving for 300 miles per day.

A UOA would let you know for sure but those engines seem pretty easy on oil. I recently posted a UOA on that engine on Mag 1 Synthetic that was very good. The oil Toyota puts in them is nothing special and thousands of vehicles are out there running 10k OCI on it and other oils without a second thought. Toyota specifies a 10k OCI with no other specifications other than API SN. If you're not going to do a UOA I wouldn't have any issues following the owners manual OCI on the Napa Synthetic.

If it meets the specs. It should run for the 10k.

However, i dont trust that 10k mess regardless of the oil. I chage at tye oil light which is 5k on my sienna.

TGMO is a blend at best (and a darn good one).
NAPA Syn would be at least equal, if not better (better being a relative term) to TGMO.

IMO, if you were comfortable doing 10k changes with TGMO, you should be even more comfortable doing 10k changes with NAPA Syn.

Again, without a UOA on either in your engine, no way to know for sure, but as mentioned, it meets the spec Toyota has put out and recommends 10k changes.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Toyota has put out and recommends 10k changes.

Can the oil stay clean for that long ?

Originally Posted By: oilstudent24

You may be putting too much faith in UOAs, with the exception of TBN. UOAs are more suited for detecting oil contamination from dirt, fuel and coolant.

I have always considered NAPA synthetic to be a 7500 mile oil based on the assumption that it's a slightly weaker version of VSP (which I don't consider an extended OCI synthetic). On the other hand, the fact that Toyota allows 10K OCIs on regular SN synthetics should be reassuring. You'll never know without running a UOA.

PS: I'm not sure that I agree that NAPA syn. is better than TGMO or even that TGMO is a blend.....

Originally Posted By: tig1
You may be putting too much faith in UOAs, with the exception of TBN. UOAs are more suited for detecting oil contamination from dirt, fuel and coolant.

I think a good UOA should show viscosity breakdown. As for contaminants it should also show wear metals. If those two metrics are OK you should be good for longer runs.

I'm not a big fan of napa brand syn. It really thinned.
I used it in my subaru for 4months and 2600miles during the winter.
(the severe service interval is 3.75months)

when I drained it.. looked like black thin toilet water.
also had more startup noise from the timing chain tensioner which uses oil pressure.

Didnt use it again in that car.

Mobil I 0W-20 in five quart jug from Walmart. Very good synthetic at a bargain price. Denso or OEM oil and air filter.
banana2.gif

I just recently installed 0W 20 Napa Full Syn in our 2.4L Jeep Renegade and the manual says 1year/10k or oil light, that is what I followed and I'm confident in the oil but I do a UOA for fun so in about 10 months I'll post it, but first I'll post the UOA of Pennzoil Platinum I just mailed, the oil light both times has illuminated at 7,500k.
Thanks TOTO.

It will perfectly capable of 10k where that is the factory-spec OCI such as in your Toyota. Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower. I think TGMO is made by XOM, and the synthetic TGMO is probably Mobil Super Synthetic, and Synpower is probably on par with MSS/TGMO
smile.gif

You might check and see if you NAPA store has an in store special on their oil. Last month I picked up on one of those. I had to buy a case but it was $3.49 a quart.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda

However, i dont trust that 10k mess regardless of the oil. I chage at tye oil light which is 5k on my sienna.

That's not an oil light. It's a maintenance reminder. To rotate tires, change oil if under SEVERE service, check filters, etc. Just an FYI. If you drive severe service, then yes, change your oil, too.

I haven't run synthetic oils for less than 10,000 miles - no matter what the brand - since 1991. IMO (MY opinion), anything less is just throwing money away and adding to the waste stream unnecessarily.

Now, I'll just wait for the inevitable, "I don't care if I'm doing it too often. I ENJOY working on my car." I enjoy drinking whiskey so maybe I'll increase my weekly consumption to a half gallon.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda

yep so do i...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back