Very Well Said - Weights & Pressures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC

The tire analogy is silly...0W40 IS a cold and hot temperature oil.
Spec sheets aren't 32F and 212F.
The Data sheets tell you a LOT about cold temperaturs (CCS and MRV), an hot (HTHS)
High "tolerances" in the BMW engine ???
How do the oil analysis companies determine whether they break down.
Oil pressure isn't lubrication
- Again, a bottle pour test isn't relevent, it's MRV and CCS, they abandoned pour and quasi pour tests in the J300 system decades ago.
Should have used a 0W40, 5W40, 10W40 comparison. The statement that the 0W20 grade is superior in winter...any 0W will do it.
Besides, -28C is right at the cold end for 10W...not all places get that cold...25W anything is OK in Australia even during winter.
Agree with his 0W 40/50 point for he Beemer in those cold conditions.

These self proclaimed internet experts are really getting annoying (not referring to the Redline video).

First this guy propagates wife's tales using terms like "true synthetics". Then he claims that after seeing 265F oil temps on the track he had to do a UOA to see what was going on? Like a UOA would be able to?

No good imo.

There should be a way to affix a rating to online videos.

This way people could save time avoiding trash exercises like this one.

This guy is simply in love with his own voice.

Originally Posted By: Kira
There should be a way to affix a rating to online videos.

This way people could save time avoiding trash exercises like this one.

This guy is simply in love with his own voice.
On my Gen Coupe forum there is /was a guy very knowledgeable and he went to great extremes to video the dismantling and explaining the various items he talked about. Unfortunately most of the 'action' could have been edited out and distilled to make a good video. But you have to sit through a half hour of ramblings to get the gist of the matter. I refuse to watch them.....

I did not find as much fault with his video as the posters above. I did find it interesting that his track days with the 0W-20 oil did not cause a significant increase in wear metals in his UOA results.

I live 3 miles from the track (PBIR, formerly Moroso) and during the hot Florida race days, "some" engines have catastrophic trouble with the uber-thin oils. Other setups gain more top speed with the thin oils. It's no secret, but back in the 1980's, Bill Elliot's racecar was able to top 200 and reach 205 MPH at Daytona with just the change from thick oils to thin synthetic.

That same methodology works today, with certain Nascar engines using 0W-10 oils during cold temp races. Leading to over 200 MPH.

The guy in the video said he spent thousands of dollars on engine oils and oil analysis. Give us that data, not something speaking about the temperature ranges and viscosity.

I'm not sure I understand the part about the oil pressure being catastrophically low with a 0w20 in a supercharged/tracked BRZ,FRS,GT86. He did oil analysis and the results returned good. Doesn't that mean the oil protected the engine just fine?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

The tire analogy is silly...0W40 IS a cold and hot temperature oil.
Spec sheets aren't 32F and 212F.
The Data sheets tell you a LOT about cold temperaturs (CCS and MRV), an hot (HTHS)
High "tolerances" in the BMW engine ???
How do the oil analysis companies determine whether they break down.
Oil pressure isn't lubrication
- Again, a bottle pour test isn't relevent, it's MRV and CCS, they abandoned pour and quasi pour tests in the J300 system decades ago.
Should have used a 0W40, 5W40, 10W40 comparison. The statement that the 0W20 grade is superior in winter...any 0W will do it.
Besides, -28C is right at the cold end for 10W...not all places get that cold...25W anything is OK in Australia even during winter.
Agree with his 0W 40/50 point for he Beemer in those cold conditions.

thumbsup2.gif
Well stated Shannow.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
I'm not sure I understand the part about the oil pressure being catastrophically low with a 0w20 in a supercharged/tracked BRZ,FRS,GT86. He did oil analysis and the results returned good. Doesn't that mean the oil protected the engine just fine?

NOPE! UOA results are just a tool. I believe UOA is best used to monitor trends, not to diagnose an acute problem.

I operate a fleet of 8 aircraft, including a really nice Eurocopter EC135. We perform UOA tests every year on the engines and the helicopter transmission. Never ANY significant iron, ranging from 3 to 5 ppm every year for the last decade (limit is 150ppm) . This past year, there was an AD (FAA requirement) to disassemble a portion of the transmission to look for excess wear. We found that excessive wear, severe enough gear damage to catch a fingernail on, and replaced the transmission.

Conclusion: UOA will not find many types of internal failures and they absolutely will not find larger metal "chunks".

Note: I also tried Mobil 1, AFE 0W-20 in my turbocharged Miata years ago. That single oil change resulted in an engine overhaul. The UOA did show excessive lead but did not show high aluminum. But by that time, it was obvious to anyone listening to the engine within 30 feet of the car, the engine had internal damage. The bearings were mildly damaged, the crank was OK, the pistons (aluminum) were absolutely destroyed. It seems the thin oil, coupled with the Florida heat, was unable to handle the bearing loads of the connecting rods and the piston skirt thrust loads. The UOA DID NOT indicate piston damage.

Last edited:
I liked it for the Weights/Pressures and knew that the "other" stuff he mentioned wasn't accurate.

Should look up CATERHAM's Oil Pressure/HTHS tests...it's quite good.

The inferences drawns aren't, but the base work is very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back