renegade hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone own one?
Some buddies and I are considering the 944 LS conversions.
LS motor lighter than stock.
Yup, it will require upgrades etc.
Curious if anyone has one of their vehicles.

I have a 924s and had a buddy that suggested doing a LS swap, but that would just be overkill for that little car. It would just be too much torque in my opinion.

I have a friend with a 944/LS combo. I saw him drive it to work a few times, that is, the few times it actually ran reliably. He's had quite a struggle with it. He's a reasonably capable guy, but the level of tinkering required was/is overwhelming and I think he's postponed any further repairs. I've not seen the car move in the last year. According to him, it's about as fast as a C6 'Vette, with 1/50th the reliability.

A friend did an LS/E-Type Jag conversion. He used all the electronics straight out of the Corvette donor and attempted to not change anything. He did buy some test gear and laid everything out on the garage floor and made a map of it all with lots of photos. He pinned photos on the walls with checklists. He spent a lot more time laying things out and planning than the actual physical conversion work.

The payoff for him was that it started on the first try when the installation was completed. He had a smile on his face the lasted the rest of the day.

The E-Type he started with was stone stock, silver with red leather. I know this because I sold him the car. It still looks that way except for the upgrade from Dunlop wires to Borrani wires and four exhaust tips neatly tucked under the very back where the original exhaust exited. The car has cats and passes California smog for the donor Vette. He's a good citizen.

To say this car is a "sleeper" is a bit of an understatement. I prefer the expression "gentleman's express".

It turns out the secret to this swap is to try change nothing in the electronics and wiring.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I have a friend with a 944/LS combo. I saw him drive it to work a few times, that is, the few times it actually ran reliably. He's had quite a struggle with it. He's a reasonably capable guy, but the level of tinkering required was/is overwhelming and I think he's postponed any further repairs. I've not seen the car move in the last year. According to him, it's about as fast as a C6 'Vette, with 1/50th the reliability.

The fact that he swapped in a LS engine didn't make the car unreliable, His inexperience with swapping drivetrains caused it. I see this way to often even with seasoned automotive technicians.....Wiring, plumbing, & fabrication skills are a must which goes above & beyond skills to repair vehicles.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A friend did an LS/E-Type Jag conversion. He used all the electronics straight out of the Corvette donor and attempted to not change anything. He did buy some test gear and laid everything out on the garage floor and made a map of it all with lots of photos. He pinned photos on the walls with checklists. He spent a lot more time laying things out and planning than the actual physical conversion work.

The payoff for him was that it started on the first try when the installation was completed. He had a smile on his face the lasted the rest of the day.

The E-Type he started with was stone stock, silver with red leather. I know this because I sold him the car. It still looks that way except for the upgrade from Dunlop wires to Borrani wires and four exhaust tips neatly tucked under the very back where the original exhaust exited. The car has cats and passes California smog for the donor Vette. He's a good citizen.

To say this car is a "sleeper" is a bit of an understatement. I prefer the expression "gentleman's express".

It turns out the secret to this swap is to try change nothing in the electronics and wiring.

LOL.....We have a 1973 V12 E-Type in the shop right now getting a GM 4.2L Atlas/4L60E & a Borg Warner 63mm Turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back