Anyone here ever have strep throat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,that's me. I'm aching from head to toe,my tonsils look awful and hurt like [censored]! I've been running an on and off fever for the past three days. When I swallow it feels like I'm swallowing fire. The dr put me on antibiotics Friday. When I went to the dr my temperature was 103. How long does this stuff last?
cry.gif

I used to get strep throat all the time, but rarely with a fever. There are mouth "anesthetics" you can get at the drug store- ask the pharmacist what they have, but I recall Cepacol was a popular brand. Use it to help you eat

I used to always get it as a kid until I had my tonsils out. 2 days on antibiotics and you'll feel like a new man!

Had it last year. It's the pits. Try some Afrin nasal spray. Whatever is in there, makes my throat feel better when it runs down.

my son used to get this often, if not watched closely could turn to scarlet fever, however you body will build up an immunity to it, most people get antibiotics though. usually last 3-4 days.

I've been gargling with hot salt water and it'll end up traveling through my sinuses and totally clear them out.

as long as the fever doesn't get out of hand, it's best to let it do its thing.. which is to kill off the bacteria naturally through body heat

and the salt water gargle will help, along with drinking warm water with honey

OP should lay off the Baskin Robbins Ice cream.
All that sugar is killing your immune system.

I haven't had it or been that sick in about 15 years

When I was a kid, I had the Hong Kong flu. Fever 106F. I couldn't feel my legs at all. It was like they were completely cut off and not there. I was delirious and hallucinating. I kept having this dream of a little old man with a long white beard -- hunched over and walking with his cane very slowly on the sidewalk in front of a house with a white picket fence. I never saw the old man before and the neighborhood never had any 3 foot high white picket fences anywhere. We had some wicked germs flying around back in the day.
grin2.gif

First year Uni, I went skiing with mates...when I came down (which I always did), I hurt really really bad, then started sweating under all the snow gear such that I was saturated.

Went to the quack the next day, and it turned out that I had Glandular Fever, and Strep throat concurrently...

If you feel only half as bad as I did, I feel really really sorry for you.

2 days off Uni, and just lying on the couch aching...couldn't even get up to change channels (yes, they were the old clunk knobs) to turn off days of our lives.

If the antibiotics are doing their job, you should have been feeling better by now. A couple of things come up now, HIV being one of them. Your DR may do a throat culture and RX you a different antibiotic.
He/she may also test you for HIV.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
OP should lay off the Baskin Robbins Ice cream.
All that sugar is killing your immune system.

I haven't had it or been that sick in about 15 years

I used to get sick about once or twice a year. About 5yrs ago switched to low carb and intermittent fasting – never looked back. I'm not a health nut, I just don't stuff my face all day long and stay away from the sugars.

Keeps the lbs off and haven't been sick in five years.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
If the antibiotics are doing their job, you should have been feeling better by now. A couple of things come up now, HIV being one of them. Your DR may do a throat culture and RX you a different antibiotic.
He/she may also test you for HIV.

Any half competent doctor should have swabbed and taken a culture to verify. Often ifvyhe case is bad enough they can tell by the texture on the throat.

Snot, dry air, etc can all also contribute to theist pain during and after strep treatment.

I didn't have a case for probably 25 years, then got it last winter...

Was up all night. Haven't slept since Friday. I have no appetite and have to force myself to eat and drink. What's weird is when I take my antibiotic,about 15 minutes later,I feel as if it's totally gone away,then hours later it all comes back and hits me like a freight train. The antibiotic they prescribed me is Clarithromycin. Two a day for 10 days. Funny reading posts,I'm like Merc,I've been having these crazy dreams while I've had this. I had a dream last night that everyone was mad at me,and I kept telling them I was sick and that made them madder. Then like Shannow,I'm aching so bad that I could barely walk to the kitchen to get a drink out of the fridge. So I ate a bowl of Malt O Meal and drank a glass of fruit juice just now to take with my antibiotic.

Did the doctor actually do a culture to confirm strep? Many times they just jump to that conclusion. It sounds like you might have more going on, especially if you haven't improved with the antibiotics.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I used to always get it as a kid until I had my tonsils out. 2 days on antibiotics and you'll feel like a new man!

True enough but be sure to continue to take them until they are gone - both to make sure it is gone and not create an antibiotic resistant disease!

I had it back in 1988. Doc prescribed Erithrymycin. I was flat on the couch for a week, subsisting on Otter Pops, which cooled my aching throat enough that I could stand to swallow. Lost about 10 pounds. I was thin and pale, and my boss said I looked like death warmed over when I got back to work. It didn't take very long for me to start feeling like normal once I beat the infection, though.

Then the next year, I got double walking pneumonia, the after-effects of which lasted for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back