Schaeffer Application Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
This involves 2 types of Schaffer Motor Oils. Their normal gasoline engine oils (701, 703, 9003D, 9004, 9005) and their European engine oils (8007 and 8008). When I go to their chart and go by API certification codes, e.g., SJ, SL, SM, SN, I see things I don't understand but want to understand.

For example, the European oils are good for SL and SN but not SJ and SM. I'm just trying to understand as I want to use the European in my GS300 (SJ) and LS400 (SJ). My 4Runner and LS430 are SL so it is no problem. Would it be a problem in my older Lexus? I've emailed Schaeffer Corp this morning.

Yeah that chart is a bit crazy, the 9004 is listed as SH, SJ, SM and SN but NOT SL ?!

Then you have the 8008, it's listed as SH, SL and SN, but NOT SJ or SM. Only every second API spec for that oil, it's on half rations.

Obviously the work experience kid was in a rush to get home that day and skipped a few letters and numbers. After all, "who reads this stuff anyway?" they thought to themselves.

My advice, ignore the list, if you need SJ then that or above (SL, SM, SN) will be fine. Any one will do.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Here's my chart:
SN = Current
SM = Obsolete
SL = Obsolete
SJ = Obsolete

Here is my chart
SN = Current
SM = what's the point ?
SL = Last of the good stuff that allows real zinc levels
SJ = Obsolete

Originally Posted By: SR5
Here is my chart
SN = Current
SM = what's the point ?
SL = Last of the good stuff that allows real zinc levels
SJ = Obsolete

OK ... We'll go by your chart.
smile.gif

What do you mean by absolete . I will take an ACEA SL 10W 30 over any API SN spec PCMO .I use to get Scheaffers 703 SL for about 15 years . Pretty hard to make blank statements.

I agree. I prefer the earlier oils. See my old cars? LOL

What get my goat is take EOM HI MILAGE PCMO are all rated SL. Then you tell me SL oil is absolete . API weight standards were incorporated in 1905 . Its about time to upgrade . If I purchase an 11 Cts oil I expect it to stay in grade for the duration . Not shear down to 9 Cts & loose 10% oil pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back