Live on a sharp curve? Don't do this please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but I don't have a pic. Pet peeve is when person cutting yard on their lawn tractor who lives on a sharp curve on a medium to narrow two laner (double yellow stripe) runs it in side discharge, grass apparently too tall to bag I get it... but maybe DON'T BLOW IT ALL OVER THE ROAD. Pucker factor on the Guzzi this afternoon !!

I was out riding once and saw a banana peel on my preferred line!

That grass could have been an oil slick or anything else... I know as a responsible rider you weren't outriding your brakes/ vision.

Hold on there with that... It could easily be on a sharp corner where you have no way to see what's on the road around that corner... And surprise it's covered with grass... And you normally can take that corner at say 50-60 mph on dry pavement. And in this case it's covered with wet grass.

I had this happen after a snow event. Road dry as a bone. Two lane road. Coming up over a sharp hill going straight thank goodness at 62 mph, dry pavement. Then surprise... Road covered with snow as I come up over that sharp hill... It was intense. By maintained control very well and didn't overreact. The wind blowing hard had pushed the snow from the side of the road on to the road in that spot. It was about 3-4 inches deep. Car got a bit squirrelly but I managed to not to overreact or put any wheel in it. Had I done that I would have been off the road for sure. So, I understand what LoneRanger is saying here.

Originally Posted By: bbhero

I had this happen after a snow event. Road dry as a bone. Two lane road. Coming up over a sharp hill going straight thank goodness at 62 mph...

Every two-lane road I know of in the USA has a speed limit of 55. You were breaking the law and have to live with the consequences if you messed up. You were going too fast for conditions and even if you were going 54 you could get a ticket

I’m with CT8

Just FYI, here in Nebraska the state highway 2 lane road are all 60 mph speed limit. only the county 2 lanes are 55. And all the cops, local, county, and state, don't look twice at you if you are not more than 5 mph over the posted speed.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Drive slower!

Where did I say I was speeding? Had I been speeding I would have went down. I entered at a reduced speed due to the acute bend of the curve and it is slightly off camber. If I'd been pushing it in any way shape or form I'd be picking up some pieces.

So far several have missed the point. It's not an oil slick or bannana peels or something accidental. It's wet grass strewn over the roadway by someone being careless about their mowing habits and not giving a rats mule about the effect on traffic. Same thing as when some clown using their leaf blower blows all their leaves into your yard or into the street, because hey they're out of my yard so who gives a [censored]. Obnoxious behavior either way.

its ok man..they are probably the guys that blow the grass all over the road...same guys that have their driveways wash all over the road.

Ahh hey hoss..... What percentage of people driving go 55 or less in a 55 mph zone?? Yeah, like 2%. Got a idea for you to try for fun.. try going 62 mph in a 55 mph zone and pass a police officer. Bet they dont move an inch. I told the second in command at my local sheriff's office that I routinely went 63+64 mph. Guess what he said???? "Man, do not worry about that all. We don't start pulling people over until they are going at least 65 mph plus". I talked to George Thomas a local state trooper about the same exact deal... He told me the same EXACT thing as Darryl Warren 2nd in command at the sheriff's office told me. In fact George told me that there days when he would let people go 67 mph in a 55 and not pull them either. I routinely drive 69 mph in a 60 mph here where I live and even the James City police don't mess with me either. So, in summary.... I am in the VAST majority of people who drive a bit over the speed limit in a 55 mph zone plus and don't get messed with. Get you some of that.

Last edited:
I like the idiots that do that with snow here in the winter. They blow all their snow from their driveway into the street.
mad.gif

Yeah that's gotta be really bad. At least in my case I knew it was the wind. No one to blame.

LoneRanger is exactly right about what he is saying here. People need to thinking about what they are doing and how it could adversely affect other people. It could be very dangerous in fact. Even if one is driving the speed limit or less than it. Speed was not a problem in his case. It was wet grass that greatly lowered the coefficient of friction between his tires and the road beneath the tires.

The roads here have enough other stuff in them, please don't add grass and snow.

Even better is driving past someone blowing grass and the stray rock into your car. How about a bit of consideration for the other guy ?

The wet leaves this time of year are very dangerous for motorcyclists. Especially in curves that are shaded, those leaves stay wet and slippery for days. Be careful, slow down, and keep those eyes moving.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: CT8
Drive slower!

Where did I say I was speeding? Had I been speeding I would have went down. I entered at a reduced speed due to the acute bend of the curve and it is slightly off camber. If I'd been pushing it in any way shape or form I'd be picking up some pieces.

So far several have missed the point. It's not an oil slick or bannana peels or something accidental. It's wet grass strewn over the roadway by someone being careless about their mowing habits and not giving a rats mule about the effect on traffic. Same thing as when some clown using their leaf blower blows all their leaves into your yard or into the street, because hey they're out of my yard so who gives a [censored]. Obnoxious behavior either way.
You have to be careful . The motorcycle doesn't have any special rights. When you ride a M/C everyone and everything is out to get you. Ride that way.

Blowing anything into the street is inconsiderate. I've seen some blow so much grass into the street, it could make a car wreck. I don't expect people that don't ride to understand.

Hehehe.... Sorry, there's nothing you can say or do to get me to sympathize with a motorcycle rider. Then again, I'm an unabashedly genuinely unpleasant person with little regard for anything or anyone beyond my own. Also I live near a really windy road that just beckons for every Tom, ****, and Harry with a bike or sportier car to blast around corners all night. Now I now what to do with my lawn clippings!

If you can't tell, I'm being facetious... But kind of not really though.

To be honest, isn't that the risk that you are well aware of every time you get on the bike? Every time you go out there you put your lives at the hands of hundreds of people who don't give a flyinfart about you. I thought that was part of the thrill - like one super long trust fall with strangers who want nothing to do with you. Sorry you're a quadriplegic, but im not going to stop watching Netflix while I drive because you chose to not put a metal box between yourself and my tahoe.

Last edited:
do you expect the homeowner to be sweeping the road for leaves or possibly sand too? You need to slow down....you are over driving your line of sight and your bikes ability to navigate such a sharp turn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: philipp10
do you expect the homeowner to be sweeping the road for leaves or possibly sand too? You need to slow down....you are over driving your line of sight and your bikes ability to navigate such a sharp turn.

You clearly have low reading comprehension skills.

Most places there are ctiy ordinances, state laws, or both that make it illegal to leave grass clippings, leaves, snow, or anything else in the street. If I get clippings in the street, I just make a pass over them with the mower and blow them back in the yard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back