Help, Movie streaming on TV (Canada)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I am not the most tech savvy person when it comes to this sort of thing. I lament the old days when I could turn on a TV with one knob, and change channels with another and be entertained for an evening. Somehow those times have gone. However.

We then had video rental stores. On a cold wet night we could pop down the road and rent a movie.

But they have disappeared.

We were told to buy an Apple TV box. We did, and did enjoy some use from it, however it somehow 'lost' out CC account, so we were unable to downlown (and pay) for selected TV shows and Movies other than Netflix.
I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone with Apple last night with no resolution.

So what are my options?

As I say, I am a tech dummy, so need to be lead by the hand through this. Assume I know nothing!

I hear about Amazon movie streaming?? Is it available in Canada? What do I need? What will I get? How do I get it on our 4 year old TV?

We just want to see a few old movies! All help greatly appreciated.

Apple TV, Roku boxes are available in Canada with Canadian Content and older content from the US/UK etc. Amazon is also available in Canada but from what I understand the content if far worse than what is available through Apple TV / Roku.

Now what you could do if you have someone who is a bit teksavvy and can help you is use a Canadian Netflix Account with a VPN Router to get US Netflix / UK Netflix and then really have the best content available at one low price per month that will be far less than pay as you go with Roku/Apple TV.

Where are you located? Maybe I can help you.

Steve

Last edited:
Vancouver Island, just down the road ;-)

If I had Netflux US and UK (I am a Brit, so that appeals) would I need seperate Netflix accounts?

Where do I get a VPN router?

Honestly, after last night, I won't be buying anymore Apples! But if I can use what I have, I will.

I use a Roku, only subscriptions I deal with are Netflix and Hulu.

I’ve heard Canadians get the short end of the stick with Netflix.

Can’t you guys just create a U.S. account? Does it ask for an address or zip code? I’d think you can just type in a random U.S. address, as if they’d know or mail that address.

It geo restricts content based on where the request is coming from. My brother lives in Boston and his account works fine there, when he travels to Canada it restricts content on his US account.

I also can only see US content when I travel to the US with my Canadian account which is how i knew a VPN would work around this.

Stupid but it works.

I cant even get to those problems. I live in rural Sask., 20km out of a decent sized town with highspeed internet but cannot get access to that. I have to use Explorenet and my internet speed is only rivaled by dial up. I wish I had your problems..... LOL

Explorenet serves Rural Ontario as well.
sick.gif
So sorry for you. I helped a guy with his Android box and I told him he would never have a decent enough connection to run that kind of streaming.

We are getting Fiber to the house next year. Right now it's in the street but copper to the house from there. I'm so excited to have Gigabit Internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back