Wow, that's some view

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC

Cool video...You can't be afraid of heights for that job...Wonder what they get paid for fixing a light?

Last edited:
That's a whole world of NOPE for me
laugh.gif

The only logical way I could fix that light, would be to cut the cables tear the tower down and replace the bulb then somehow prop the thing back up and poor a lot of cement around it...That's my way of doin it...

It wasn't too bad until he was out of the cage! That freaked me out! Then seeing him taking the selfie while not even holding on,that almost gave me a heart attack! I'm guessing they can only do that when there is absolutely zero wind.

That is a nope for me too and especially for $15/hr. That's a lot of risk for such low pay. Gotta love the race to the bottom.
frown.gif

That TV antenna appears to be VHF batwing antenna.

Earlier in my career I worked in Broadcast and communications engineering.

One day we installed an FM antenna at the 1700 ft. level on a 1800 ft. tower in south St. Louis.

You climb by using your legs and the full body (three point) harness clips.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The pay sucks for the risk involved. I watched a show on TV a few years ago that followed tower mechanics and it was said $15 an hour. Lowest bidder win likes over the road trucking resulting in low driver pay for sacrificing your life away from home.

Sheesh, you can make that just working as a picker at a warehouse...

One stage in my Career I was responsible for a lot of the concrete structures around the power stations (cooling towers and chimneys).

Climbed the Mount Piper stack, 750 feet, but it had internal stairs and ladders between the inner and outer casing...was great standing at the top of it, with a chest high concrete ledge on the outside, and a 10 foot high brick chimney at your back...Fine, until a civil engineer stood a ladder up and climbed up to look down the brick lining...my sphincter puckers just thinking of it.
r29_0_1170_643_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Wallerawang (a bit over 600 feet) didn't have that, we needed steeplejacks...
wallawang.jpg

Guys would swing a couple of six feet sets of ladders over their shoulder, and climb up, insert the next ladder section into the spiggot of the one that they are standing on, screw in a few bolts, then climb up the mew section, screw it on as they climbed...run out of ladders, climb down and get another arm full.

Half way up, they established a full perimeter "base camp, and winched stuff up to start again, until reaching the top, where they'd set up another full perimeter camp, lowering themselves down the inside brickwork in "bosun's chairs" to inspect and repair.

Was chatting to one of the guysm and essentially he'd have done it for nothing.

There's a LOT of Industrial Rope Access Guys getting around, who are doing this "high risk" work, far safer than any one here can imagine.

They are typically rock climbing adrenaline junkies who have s=found a way to make money while honing their skills and fitness...again, they are bringing an element of safety that didn't exist back when it was people who didn't do it every day gearing up for a one off job.

It's good for the guys in another way, as they end up up-skilling in rigging, welding, NDT, and a raft of other areas that will benefit them later.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
worst part of that job is getting to the top and realizing you left the screwdriver in the truck ...
grin.gif

Or if you have the scoots!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The pay sucks for the risk involved. I watched a show on TV a few years ago that followed tower mechanics and it was said $15 an hour. Lowest bidder win likes over the road trucking resulting in low driver pay for sacrificing your life away from home.

https://www.rcrwireless.com/20140930/wor...y-benefits-tag8

Yep, lots of low bid contracts subcontracted to do this work.

I wonder how long before they try to outsource this job to developing countries with temporary workers.
frown.gif

Last edited:
For those who never saw it = Google like a bird on a wire+faraday cage (YouTube)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back