Aerospace Protectant

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a few of us in the family have been applying this Aerospace protectant to our wipers (yearly) and to our serpentine belts (once at time of installation) and so far with 80,000km on the Journey and over 2 years I haven't needed to replace the wipers at all. And this is with them scraping on ice/frost in the winters as well. (Typically wipers last 6 months un-treated)

Also the serpentine belt has 80,000km and shows no cracks and looks like new. (I treated it when I first got the vehicle).

I was wondering if anyone else has used this product and if so have you used it on tires to extend their life?

I've been using 303 Protectant on my bushings every few years. I spray the rubber bushings until they're all wet and check them again in two more years. The bushings on my 2003 CRV aren't cracked or worn so I guess the stuff works.

Because they rust proof my vehicle every year and that stuff creeps / runs it leaves light coatings on everything including bushings etc. But that is a great use I never thought of.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
That sounds pretty shocking......I would not use it on belts.

I'm not so sure about the belts. The wipers, might be worth a try...

I am going to replace the wiper blades today. We just got some rain night before last. Been a long hot dry summer.
Maybe I try working some 303 on the existing to see how that goes. I use the wipers & washer fluid a lot.
add: I won't try it on the belt. Besides, I just replaced the serpentine belt a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
I might try it on wiper blades, but I'm not convinced that wiper blades wouldn't still need regular replacement. While the leading cause of wiper blade failure is rotting from ozone exposure, they do also wear and fatigue. Perhaps using 303 could extend the life of wiper blades to maybe 2 years?

As far as serpentine belts, the last belt I replaced made it almost 190k miles and over 12 years before needing to be replaced. After that much time, heat, cold, and flexing, it's not only the rubber that fails, it is also the fabric inside the belt. I never have had an issue with serpentine belt noise. And small cracks on the inside of the belt are not an issue to the long life of a belt. So for me, removing a serpentine belt, using $5 - $7 of 303, and then reinstalling the belt, doesn't seem to have any benefit at all. It may protect the rubber from ozone decay, but not the fabric inside. And my time is worth more than that. So just replace the belt every 10 years. No big deal.

Originally Posted By: 2010Civic
You do realize that modern belts don't crack like they use to. They just wear down.

They will eventually crack, but yes I'm aware of how long they last.

Wipers if kept clean don't need replacement that often. I still have the OE squeegees on my 15 accord, and we only changed the squeegees on the 14 Odyssey last winter. When Ive run PIAA silicone wipers they have lasted nearly indefinitely. These cars are kept outdoors so see frost, snow and ice.

I don't run wipers to free them from being frozen in ice, and I mechanically clear my windshield, not expecting a thin strip of rubber to remove jagged ice.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Wipers if kept clean don't need replacement that often. I still have the OE squeegees on my 15 accord, and we only changed the squeegees on the 14 Odyssey last winter. When Ive run PIAA silicone wipers they have lasted nearly indefinitely. These cars are kept outdoors so see frost, snow and ice.

I don't run wipers to free them from being frozen in ice, and I mechanically clear my windshield, not expecting a thin strip of rubber to remove jagged ice.

I don't intentionally run them against ice from overnight accumulation for example, but there are times where we get precipitation that freezes as it falls and it gets trapped under the wiper while you are driving and damages it. Unavoidable.

I will have to look into the PIAA silicone wipers.

Last edited:
I saw the same video on YouTube, couldn't find any locally, and bought some online. I've gone a bit wild - windshield wipers, belts, intake air snorkels, and bike tires.

We've got premature winter onset here, but in Spring I plan to apply some to CV boots, ball joint & tie rod end rubber, etc.

It looks like good stuff - I guess time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back