LSP3 VS FLUID FILM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: stevejones
I've used Fluid Film. I'm now a Cortec fanboi..

Never heard of it. Would you care to elaborate on what it is? I did a quick google and found several Cortec rust prevention products, but I'm curious as to what you use and how it holds up

I don't know the difference but I can tell you I won't use Fluid Film again. The cons outweigh the pros. Like having your truck slip off the jack and jack stands, almost crushing you. Or having to take 3 showers to get the soot off you just changing the oil. Or every time you are under the truck working on something, sand, soot, all kinds of stuff clinging to the undercarriage gets into your eyes, ears, nose, mouth. Even wearing goggles and a surgical mask. No, I'm done. Done with any wet, gooey substances. Using black Rustoleum rust reformer now. Lasts longer, cleaner underneath.

Originally Posted By: Smoqueed

Never heard of it. Would you care to elaborate on what it is? I did a quick google and found several Cortec rust prevention products, but I'm curious as to what you use and how it holds up

Here.

Holding up very well, going into the 3rd winter with this stuff. Unlike FF, once the solvent flashes off it dries to a tacky wax & doesn't wash off. I use a FF sprayer, jack my truck up, pull the wheels & spare tire, skid plates, etc. then pound the stuff on.

Not cheap - I think the 5 gal pail I got was $300 or so...but my old truck looks better than my buddies 2013...

I'm no expert, but I'm doing FF bi-annual application for two cars here, all by myself, with a sprayer. Holds up quite good, and no mess. No stuck nuts or rust, what's not to like about it... Quite expensive here in Canada, and besides Krown, nothing else is available anyway, so...

Originally Posted By: yugrus
I'm no expert, but I'm doing FF bi-annual application for two cars here, all by myself, with a sprayer. Holds up quite good, and no mess. No stuck nuts or rust, what's not to like about it... Quite expensive here in Canada, and besides Krown, nothing else is available anyway, so...

I just applied Corrosion Free Rust Care to the underside of my new RAM 1500 today. Ordered from their site, came directly from Canada.

Another is NH Oil Undercoating which is in New Hampshire, but I have a sneaking suspicion they are just relabelling the Corrosion Free product.

It seems to drip less than FF, doesnt smell and is supposed to hold up better to waterwash.

That Cortec stuff is interesting, of course I only find it now that Ive already done the Corrosion Free thing.

Me too. Trav told me about it, and I tried it. Stevejones nailed it! The Cortec product is IMO the way to go. It doesn't have to be touched up or re-applied as much as FF, and in salt spray tests it is rated much higher.

What are you guys using to apply the Cortec?

And how did you prep the surface coming from a different product?

Just rust proofed my car DIY for this season. Napa Canada stocks a store brand "bio" based product for $35 per 5L jug. Much more cost effective than some of the other products. Looking at the MSDS, it looks to be supplied by Autochem and is mostly recycled vegetable oil with corrosion inhibitors. Will have to see how well it holds up, but so far the application went seamlessly. No drip, and it has a nice smell too.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I don't know the difference but I can tell you I won't use Fluid Film again. The cons outweigh the pros. Like having your truck slip off the jack and jack stands, almost crushing you. Or having to take 3 showers to get the soot off you just changing the oil. Or every time you are under the truck working on something, sand, soot, all kinds of stuff clinging to the undercarriage gets into your eyes, ears, nose, mouth. Even wearing goggles and a surgical mask. No, I'm done. Done with any wet, gooey substances. Using black Rustoleum rust reformer now. Lasts longer, cleaner underneath.

Wow, that is rough to hear. Seriously though, I have used FF for years and my take on it is way opposite of yours to the positive. I agree with the points on getting a little dirty when working under it, but the crusty [censored] you describe I have had no like experience with it. Then again, I still wash the underside from time to time to avoid those build ups.

Originally Posted By: pantygnome

I'm using a FF sprayer. As for surface prep, I just powerwash the chassis as best I can a few days before applying.

Originally Posted By: pantygnome

I clean the under carriage about a week before applying it with my power washer. I use an undercoating gun with the wands for the rocker panels, insides of doors, fenders, pillars, and difficult to access areas. I can also use it for the undercarriage too, but I found my airless sprayer to be much faster, and apply a much better coat, so I use that for the undercarriage now.

Thanks guys.

Ill look into that as an alternate product. Looks like it would apply the same way as the Corrosion Free stuff I just applied, so no big deal.

How long are you getting before re-application is necessary? Or do you just do it once a year regardless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back