Cracked Head *pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently working on a water truck with a C13 CAT at work with water in the oil, turned out to be a cracked head. Luckily (not really) it's an International which means half the engine is inside the truck. I thought you all would be interested in seeing some pictures.

WOW that is surely ugly + $$$$ its neat to see what things look when it goes wrong!!! pics of carbon in gas DI engines is an eye opener as well, makes you want to buy a new car NOT!!!!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
WOW that is surely ugly + $$$$ its neat to see what things look when it goes wrong!!! pics of carbon in gas DI engines is an eye opener as well, makes you want to buy a new car NOT!!!!!

Yeah, it's getting a full rebuild. It's also getting a new camshaft and followers as well as both turbos and a new head. So definitely an expensive repair.

I sure hope the ol' Ecoboost doesn't develop any problems anytime soon.

Terrible to see on a late-model truck!

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: cjcride
Thanks for posting.
Would that flaw have happened in manufacture or developed from use?

I think in this instance, it was from use. This truck gets used and abused.

Originally Posted By: tomcruise
Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Nasty lookin... Thanks for the pics...

No problem

Thanks for pics sir and glad you are fixing it
Right
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rodinator1234
From use?? Wow, not overheating? Not keeping the radiator clean or a fan clutch failure? Is it a water truck used in a quarry?

I'm not sure. But it's hot here in the summer and this guy's trucks are just not taken good care of. He's been using straight water in the cooling system. I put a radiator in it last winter because it was clogged up with rust.... He still kept using water. I'm sure it over heated at some point. I don't always get the whole story. The boss just says "fix it"

Wow, that's quite a mess ya got there.
You plan on posting some "after" pics?

Thanks for sharing tomcruise
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
How are you going to get that goop out of the internal spaces?

We have a sprayer that uses the compressed air. I'll probably stick it in one of oil galleries and run solvent through it.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Wow, that's quite a mess ya got there.
You plan on posting some "after" pics?

Thanks for sharing tomcruise
thumbsup2.gif

I could do that. Give some progress pictures next week.

Originally Posted By: tomcruise
Originally Posted By: rodinator1234
From use?? Wow, not overheating? Not keeping the radiator clean or a fan clutch failure? Is it a water truck used in a quarry?

I'm not sure. But it's hot here in the summer and this guy's trucks are just not taken good care of. He's been using straight water in the cooling system. I put a radiator in it last winter because it was clogged up with rust.... He still kept using water. I'm sure it over heated at some point. I don't always get the whole story. The boss just says "fix it"

Back when I worked on consumer vehicles for a living, it always amazed me that people will spend big bucks on a vehicle, and then not maintain it. They always seemed surprised when their neglect ended up costing them far more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back