Cayenne drain plug obstruction

Status
Not open for further replies.
...working on a co-workers 09 Porsche Cayenne 3.6L naturally aspirated and after I get all 30 bolts off the skid plate, I run into this I’m assuming axel looking thing blocking full access to the drain plug. I couldn’t get my 19mm socket on the plug securely. It looks like this part is also sunken down about an inch more than in the video. I had the vehicle on ramps so I’m thinking if I jack it up that part will be out of the way. Or I guess I could try using an adjustable wrench. I just don’t want to get the skid plate off again and not have any luck. What do you guys say?

Also do you think Mobil 0w-40 Euro blend will suffice when it calls for 5W-30? It’s impossible to find ESP and way too much money

Is this a 3/8” torque wrench with a short extension bar? But with a 19mm?

What they said above - use a combo wrench or extension. Don't use adjustable wrench.

The Mobil 1 0W/40 would be a good choice.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Whats wrong with a 19mm box wrench?

Don’t have one lol. Excuse for more tools to buy. Didn’t know they make 19mm 3/8” drive. Never thought about 19mm wrench for some reason and need to go buy (17 or 18 biggest I have). Would prefer to torque drain plug correctly so going to try the socket/extension route first. All I had was 19mm 1/2” drive and the head of the ratchet was hitting that part.
Thanks guys, will try to bang this out again soon

Why are you doing an oil change for a coworker, on a Porsche, if you don't own a 19mm wrench?

I just think that's the elephant in the room.

27.gif

Trivia, 19mm = 3/4in I even have a lug socket that is double marked IIRC. So if you have a 3/4 combination or box wrench it should get you through this job.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pda1122
...working on a co-workers 09 Porsche Cayenne 3.6L naturally aspirated and after I get all 30 bolts off the skid plate, I run into this I’m assuming axel looking thing blocking full access to the drain plug. I couldn’t get my 19mm socket on the plug securely. It looks like this part is also sunken down about an inch more than in the video. I had the vehicle on ramps so I’m thinking if I jack it up that part will be out of the way. Or I guess I could try using an adjustable wrench. I just don’t want to get the skid plate off again and not have any luck. What do you guys say?

Also do you think Mobil 0w-40 Euro blend will suffice when it calls for 5W-30? It’s impossible to find ESP and way too much money

Is this a 3/8” torque wrench with a short extension bar? But with a 19mm?

Just did oil change on one of these st work. Used my Craftsman wrench
smile.gif

Have fun getting the cartridge filter out as it's a P.I.T.A

We used Castrol EDGE 0w40 also

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Why are you doing an oil change for a coworker, on a Porsche, if you don't own a 19mm wrench?

I just think that's the elephant in the room.

27.gif

Thought I had all I needed. In my case 19mm socket 1/2” drive didn’t work. Needing 19mm wrench is common on euro vehicles when socket and ratchet won’t do?
It’s not like this thing is brand new... I still try to treat it as if it were but it has over 150,000 miles and is almost 9 years old

Here’s a reason why I’m helping him out:

That’s oil change plus cabin air filter

I think the filter cap is a 36mm, plus you need a few extensions to get at it, howd that go? I usually charge between 125-145 for Cayenne oil changes, using OE filter and Fuchs or LiquiMoly.

Originally Posted By: Audios
I think the filter cap is a 36mm, plus you need a few extensions to get at it, howd that go? I usually charge between 125-145 for Cayenne oil changes, using OE filter and Fuchs or LiquiMoly.

I bought the 36mm Tool off amazon for $8 and have a 10” extension and some smaller ones if need be. I made sure the socket fit but didn’t take the filter off if I couldn’t drain the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back