Reliability Ratings Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
"Time and time again, our own data shows that Consumer Reports' automotive reporting is consistently inaccurate and misleading to consumers," Tesla said. It accuses Consumer Reports of conducting tests and surveys that "lack basic scientific integrity."

There will always be parties on both sides of the fence pointing the finger.
smile.gif

Toyotas are reliable as fuark there's no deny. However, I do agree with what Tesla said. There are some weird "reliability" ratings that tend to only review new cars for a few weeks and then say 'tis very reliable. Gotta watch out.

Yeah like the Initial Quality Awards. Who cares... Tell me how it is after the warranty.

Anyone can make a quality car up front but time tells no lies!
wink.gif

I don't care how reliable it is, if it looks like a cereal box on wheels and puts me to sleep behind the wheel, you can keep it. Reliability is only a negative virtue because it'll stick around longer to torture you.

My boss's boss had a Tesla a couple years ago, took it in for some routine maintenance and they found $15,000 worth of work that needed to be done. It was still barely under warranty so they fixed it. It was things like axles etc. so he got rid of it after that since the warranty was almost up.

But after all sorts of other cars he has another Tesla.

Car reviews and consumer reports are dubious.

Only two consumers usually go out of their way cast votes and comment, fanboys and whiners.

And car reviewers drive vehicles for a few thousand miles and call it reliable. That is like going on two dates and calling someone solid marriage material.

I would say Consumers Reports ratings are fairly accurate based on results. The fan boys that purchase the poorly rated vehicles are the ones who seem the most put out.

My 2005 Legacy Gt was used car to avoid ((turbo only) and in its elder years 150k iConsumer Reports was dead on.

My 2007 Acura MDX with 170k follows their reliability to a tee.

Folks never realize that a low rating means problems are more likely to happen across the sample but does not mean you’ll experience them. The last time I read over 30%with issues means poor reliability. That means 7 in 10 still have okay experience.

That article links leaves out the truth and the math because I guess folks are too stupid to understand basic stats.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/20/cons...kusauto00000016

Quote:

Elsewhere in the ratings, for the fifth straight year Japanese automaker Toyota placed first in the magazine's brand ranking with the most reliable vehicles on average. General Motors' Cadillac brand was last among 27 brands ranked.

Did you notice that the Journey was the least reliable Dodge product? LOL
wink.gif

And the two German marques in the top 5.....

Originally Posted By: madRiver
My 2005 Legacy Gt was used car to avoid ((turbo only) and in its elder years 150k iConsumer Reports was dead on.

My 2007 Acura MDX with 170k follows their reliability to a tee.

Folks never realize that a low rating means problems are more likely to happen across the sample but does not mean you’ll experience them. The last time I read over 30%with issues means poor reliability. That means 7 in 10 still have okay experience.

That article links leaves out the truth and the math because I guess folks are too stupid to understand basic stats.

You make a very good point.
Reliability ratings come from population surveys and across the population of any model, you'll find both good and bad examples.
In a fleet of a hundred vehicles, the reliability ratings will likely have predictive value but for an individual owner, even a vehicle model known to be more troublesome than average may well prove to be perfectly durable and reliable.
A lot of the models with poor reliability ratings can be bought at deep discounts, like most FCA offerings or any from Mitsubishi, so the risk of more problems might well be worth taking, especially since the odds are actually in the buyer's favor.
As you point out, if 300 out of a thousand examples exhibit serious problems, then the model will be considered troublesome but any individual buyer is still more likely to have a good ownership experience than a bad one.
So, there is hope for the OP's Journey.

I can't take CR seriously because they use complaints about infotainment systems to calculate the car's reliability. OK, if the center stack shorts out, fine. But every person who complains about problems with voice recognition should not factor in the same as a transmission that grenades.

Also, how are they claiming to rate the reliability of new models?!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Did you notice that the Journey was the least reliable Dodge product? LOL
wink.gif

And the two German marques in the top 5.....

Didn't need a report to tell me that I own one of these masterpieces.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back