1987 Toyota 22R 148KMi Valve cover pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

5spd with stock carb. Unknown oil life or OCI. Did a few short PYB flushes and will probably run PYB 15-40. Needs timing chain guides and a steering damper. Fun winter project.

Looks like a neat little truck. Not bad given it's age, lack of fuel injection and (I would assume) unknown history.

The fuel pump looks easily accessible.
laugh.gif

Lots of heat, below average oil flow. They all pretty much look like this.

I actually snapped a cam in one of these.

While the purists, perfectly clean synthetic only oci may disagree, at 148k miles unknown maintenance history, I don't think this valve train looks too bad. Some varnish, not bad. Relatively speaking significantly better than a recent Civic valve train posted with what was described as having 'decent' maintenance.

Looks like you got a truck with many miles left in it.

Looks fine to me.

I just did a full timing set, and a new head and gasket back in August of this year on my 22RE. I used the Cloyes Heavy Duty set with the driver side steel backed guide. My timing cover was chain grooved up pretty good, so I replaced it with a $35 Enginetech.

If the harmonic balancer has a groove in it, and I suspect it will with that many miles then a Toyota 90311-45014 Type-T Timing Cover oil seal will fix it right up. It's thinner than the original, and the seal will ride in a different spot. Drive the seal all the way home in the oil pump while the pump is on the bench.

If I had the money at the time, I would have converted mine to double roller, but that requires a different timing cover, and a notch has to be cut on the business side of the valve cover.

Replace the timing chain, sprockets and guides soon or that sloppy chain will wear a hole in the timing chain cover (right into a water passage)

Originally Posted By: Billbert
Replace the timing chain, sprockets and guides soon or that sloppy chain will wear a hole in the timing chain cover (right into a water passage)
x2

Can replace the carb if needed with a Weber 32/36 DGEV I believe.I took apart my old 89 22r with 265,000 on it and aside from timing chain, looked really good inside, bores included.Edit: 25 years ago i bought a Downey header for the truck,rebuilt the engine, lost interest, sold to my father in law.That header is still in good condition.truck still used and runs perfect.

Last edited:
Jokingly, those Toyota trucks seem not to need oil, antifreeze or sparkplugs. They simply run and run with the most minimal of care.

Thanks for the pics, looks quite nice.

I have used these trucks as daily drivers since the early 80's I am now on my third, which happens to be an 84 model.

It's predecessor ran faultless for 500k miles befor rust made it too ugly to keep.

As stated they are not fussy about which oil you use, but the timing chain can be an issue if you find it starts making a noise.

Basically there is a chain guide made of plasic that can break and allow the chain to wear into the side of the cover exactly where the water pump sits. If the chain wears through (it takes some time for this to happen and makes a heck of a noise) coolant will leak into your engine oil and you will have big problems!

Fortunatly there is a readily available, replacment, steel backed chain rail kit that negate this problem.

My 84 has yet to develope this problem, but I have a timing chain kit on hand just in case.

If you keep that rust at bay you can expect a L O N G life from that truck

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
While the purists, perfectly clean synthetic only oci may disagree, at 148k miles unknown maintenance history, I don't think this valve train looks too bad. Some varnish, not bad. Relatively speaking significantly better than a recent Civic valve train posted with what was described as having 'decent' maintenance.

Looks like you got a truck with many miles left in it.

Agree. My brother had this vintage truck and it would have lasted forever, except for the valve guides (known problem) and the radiator, of which he had three. So change the valve guides and make sure the coolant is fresh and it should last a long, long time.

I had an '87 4x4 Toyota with the 22R-E. I LOVED that pickup and that reliable little engine. Drove it across the U.S. in the middle of winter. I still miss it.

Thanks for all the replies. The chain and guides are a priority, probably a head too, in time. Its a farm truck now and gets the groceries. I paid $2K for it because I fell in love at first sight. I will use LCE for most parts but thanks for the Cloyes tip. It was a barn find with 0 frame rust and I immediately started fluid filming it. Spare tire dropped with ease and carrier is intact. I put new rear shocks on it and replaced a leaking wheel cylinder and flushed all the fluids. Trans and diff fluid were clean and very recently replaced with no chunks on the magnets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back