How Knock Detection System Works in the Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, interesting article, thanks for posting!

I worked on the electronics for a knock detection system for a US OEM in the last millennium and a lot of this sounds familiar.
Our main role in the magic was generating the equivalent of the knock intensity value and that was an intricate task. A lot of filtering to reject signals from the piezoelectric sensors that were not related to knocking events and windowing to identify the cylinder as well as also reject non-knock stuff. The engine gurus at our customer told us that the ideal condition was to be knocking so lightly that the sensors would barely register it and the driver would never notice it...the said this gave them the best power and fuel efficiency. They also let us watch a prototype of the system running on the dyno and it was cool to watch it adjust to changes on the fly.

Very nice article. Easy read and very informative. What's interesting is that you don't really hear of LSPI issues with Ecoboosts, and this system probably plays a big part in that.

The Octane adjustment ratio is readable using torque on an android phone. Interesting to monitor particularly when you hear folks say gas is gas. Definitively there is a difference and it is repeatable on what is all supposed to be 87 octane in this market. I've had OAR from .25 to -.3, depending on brand, an repeated over different fill ups. Other markets may be different.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Very nice article. Easy read and very informative. What's interesting is that you don't really hear of LSPI issues with Ecoboosts, and this system probably plays a big part in that.

Yeah, looks like they got this pretty sorted from the start.

I'm sure that Ford sweated the knock sensor development in the ecoboost engines since they are committed to their use in nearly every platform...

Very strange, when I look at the summary page for "Interesting Articles" I see a post by Molakule from 9/27...but it's not here when I visit the thread.
????

How does Knock control work in newer cars?
As best as I can tell standing at traffic lights, it doesn't! If the aim is for inaudible, but existent knocking/pinging, then they're quite clearly failing.
shocked.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back