14 F-150 Ecoboost -12k miles -MC blend or PZ Full?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 F-150 with Ecoboost engoine, 12k miles on it. If they are price-equivalent, what would you put in it? MC Syn blend or PZ full syn 5/30? Both would use a FL-500S MC filter.

I understand it came from the factory with the MC blend and filter and I've done 3 OC with that setup 'just because' and was according to the OLM. I have lots of short trips and a few scattered 50-75 mile trips now and then.

If they are price-equivalent what would you go for? It's covered under a Ford 100k, 8 year extended warranty.

I would pick any Full synthetic over any blend 7 days a week. You can usually find Full synthetic on sale and with a rebate cheaper than just going to an Auto parts store and buying what's on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
I would pick any Full synthetic over any blend 7 days a week. You can usually find Full synthetic on sale and with a rebate cheaper than just going to an Auto parts store and buying what's on the shelf.

Yep, this.

PP 5W30 Full Synthetic. It's A5/B5 last time I looked. Plus all the regular specs SN, GF-5, Dexos, Ford 929 & 946, etc

If you look at the Ecoboosts in the UOA section the best results have been with Castrol Magnetech.

At 12k miles the engine is still breaking in. I'd go a run or two more on the MC synblend to make sure the rings get seated properly. Then you can switch to full synthetic.

My 2016 has the same drivetrain. It seems that blends have better LSPI characteristics in direct injection turbo engines. They might not be as good at other factors, like timing chain wear though. I have run castrol 0w40 since 1000miles and switched over to PUP 5w30 this fall for the winter because it was on sale, at 6000 miles. I will probably stick to the 0w40 year round from now on, due to fuel dilution and shearing factors in this engine. It strikes me that the timing chain is very long and probably needs all the help it can get.

Originally Posted By: CT8
If you look at the Ecoboosts in the UOA section the best results have been with Castrol Magnetech.

And it's only a dollar more than the MC blend at Wal-Mart

If running Pennzoil I'd look for the dexos gen2 cert, which i think they now have. Should work well. I'm going with Mobil 1 AP in my 2.7 for the add pack and higher viscosity while under warranty.

Originally Posted By: askani79705
Originally Posted By: CT8

And it's only a dollar more than the MC blend at Wal-Mart

I've seen this one in the green bottle

Originally Posted By: bigt61
At 12k miles the engine is still breaking in. I'd go a run or two more on the MC synblend to make sure the rings get seated properly. Then you can switch to full synthetic.

Hadn't thought that deeply on it; figured it was seated already but not? wow.

Originally Posted By: DirtyApe
So then on a bit of a slight tangent here - Fram Ultra or MC FL500s filter for any nof these oils

Ultra. The newer F150's OLM will run up to 10,000 miles with average driving. I'd feel better with a wire backed filter like the Ultra.
After my Father's was broke in we switched to a Ultra and Pennzoil Platinum.

Originally Posted By: bigt61

Hadn't thought that deeply on it; figured it was seated already but not? wow.

Oh yeah, he told me I needed to change my sparkplugs with only 7K on them because he didn't like NGK. He knows what he's talking about.

Originally Posted By: johnD2
So then on a bit of a slight tangent here - Fram Ultra or MC FL500s filter for any nof these oils

Ultra. The newer F150's OLM will run up to 10,000 miles with average driving. I'd feel better with a wire backed filter like the Ultra.
After my Father's was broke in we switched to a Ultra and Pennzoil Platinum.

I wish my OLM would go more than -2-3k lol. I do lots of short trips. FL500s and mc blend.

I have read over on the f150 forums that the ecoboost have a longer break in period from a fuel economy perspective, I don't know how accurate that is.

By 12k if you haven't pushed the motor hard the rings could be imperfectly worn in, but it would take a tear down to find it. With the high cylinder pressures on these turbo motors I think they pretty much break themselves in as long as you do some mixed driving with decent acceleration.

Does Fram make an Ultra for it ? I couldn't find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back