Hexagonal Boron Nitride - Recent Research and ?

First time poster, but after all my internet research and reading of BITOG forum, I find I still want to ask a question.
hBN or hexagonal boron nitride is something I am using right now in my s65 motor for my BMW M3.
I am trying it out because of the risk of having bearing problems on this engine (many other internet owners are showing bearing wear for this engine).
So I took a chance on this additive because I want to TRY and protect my engine as best I can.

Now, to the question.
The following article show's what hBN is supposed to do when it is found in a 'film'
IT appears the micron 'balls' are supposed to 'roll' on the surface and that is what protects the metal from metal contact.

Scroll down to a little before mid-way
1-s2.0-S0301679X17304310-gr5.jpg

hexagonal boron nitride

If this is the case, and you can have 'to much' hBN (meaning it clumps up and stops 'rolling') I am surprised to see we are able to use products like Ceratec from LM
Where they specificy 5-6% or X ML per X Liter's.
From this research it appears that anything other than the very specific amount of hBN the 'rolling' effect is lost.

See graph on Cutting Force a little further up the page.
1-s2.0-S0301679X17304310-gr3.jpg

What do people think?
Do we need to be FAR more precise in using this stuff to get the benefit?

Thanks for sharing. I am also interested in that research. I believe the research says anything 5% concentrations doesn't do any good. I have been using it through Archoil 9100.

I also remember some companies say they suspend it in an ester...so maybe percentages are for pure hexagonal boron nitride? Not clear on that.

Bearings are soft I doubt the additive would do much. Maybe in the valve train.

I was mainly using it for extra Turbo Charger bearing protection in my F550. I have a future UOA without the additive coming next year (upper oil pan leak...dealer changed oil without additive). Interested in seeing if any difference in wear metals are apparent.

Found another photo that show's something interesting.
The experiment here was to use 70 micron hBN, however, the Electron Scanning Microscope show particles of about 10 micron in size.
Now I am not an expert saying that the 70 micron particles were ALL 70 micron, but clearly a hBN with size of 10 micron or so is stuck to the piston ring in this Electron Microscope scan.

ScreenHunter_1355 Oct. 25 08.26 by Ian Bennett, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have about two or three pounds of the "nano" sized Hexagonal Boron Nitride that I acquired years ago to try for coating bullets. I put it away and forgot about it. Last week I was cleaning up the basement and stumbled upon it. I won't add it to oil, but I do plan on coating bullets with it, and possibly selling some.

Boron Nitrides and similar chemical compounds are already contained in engine oils in an ester carrier.

Ever wonder why the Boron showed up in VOA's and UOA's about the time Cold Start Wear was a major topic?

most engine oils use Boron ester not the Nitride far as I know. Easy to see Nitride in oil will be cloudy down to .5%.

to start Google vanlube 289

First time poster, but after all my internet research and reading of BITOG forum, I find I still want to ask a question.
hBN or hexagonal boron nitride is something I am using right now in my s65 motor for my BMW M3.
I am trying it out because of the risk of having bearing problems on this engine (many other internet owners are showing bearing wear for this engine).
So I took a chance on this additive because I want to TRY and protect my engine as best I can.

Now, to the question.
The following article show's what hBN is supposed to do when it is found in a 'film'
IT appears the micron 'balls' are supposed to 'roll' on the surface and that is what protects the metal from metal contact.

Scroll down to a little before mid-way
1-s2.0-S0301679X17304310-gr5.jpg

hexagonal boron nitride

If this is the case, and you can have 'to much' hBN (meaning it clumps up and stops 'rolling') I am surprised to see we are able to use products like Ceratec from LM
Where they specificy 5-6% or X ML per X Liter's.
From this research it appears that anything other than the very specific amount of hBN the 'rolling' effect is lost.

See graph on Cutting Force a little further up the page.
1-s2.0-S0301679X17304310-gr3.jpg

What do people think?
Do we need to be FAR more precise in using this stuff to get the benefit?
Doesn't Ceretec have this compound in it?

Boron Nitrides and similar chemical compounds are already contained in engine oils in an ester carrier.

Ever wonder why the Boron showed up in VOA's and UOA's about the time Cold Start Wear was a major topic?
To be more specific, the Boron esters today are derived as a reacted and distilled product of hexanol, toluene, boric acid, and a phenolic compound.

Trihexylborate is the most common borate ester compound in DI additive packages.

Last edited:
Bearings are rather soft. How would the Boron help the bearings? I could see the rings or parts of the valve train.

Bearings are rather soft. How would the Boron help the bearings? I could see the rings or parts of the valve train.
I think you may still be thinking in terms of a crystal form of a borate in a colloidal suspension, but this is not the case.

Trihexylborate borate acts as an anti-friction and Anti-wear agent, especially during cold start-up regimes.

I think you may still be thinking in terms of a crystal form of a borate in a colloidal suspension, but this is not the case.

Trihexylborate borate acts as an anti-friction and Anti-wear agent, especially during cold start-up regimes.
Even in the crank and rod bearing? An oil soluble if the term is correct like oil soluble[?] moly that we are seeing in todays moto roils?

Back