2017 CX-9 First UOA on Factory Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is Mazda FF usually contains tons of moly. So where's the moly?

The UOA looks really good for a fresh engine and thanks for posting. But where is the molybdenum Mazda's OEM motor oil is known for? With the relatively lower calcium and higher magnesium I wonder if this is Idemitsu's Dexos1 Gen 2 formula?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Danh
The UOA looks really good for a fresh engine and thanks for posting. But where is the molybdenum Mazda's OEM motor oil know for? With the relatively lower calcium and higher magnesium I wonder if this is Idemitsu's Dexos1 Gen 2 formula?

I thought they were using Castrol now.
21.gif

Well that’s a surprise. Mazda uses Idemitsu for factory fills. Maybe this is that new Zepro with the super advanced moly?

Currently using PUP 5w30 and I also stocked up on a quite a bit of it the last two years with the rebates. Now I'm reading about LSPI. Should I continue using PUP or look for something with less calcium?

Current Stash:

40qts - PUP 5w30 both dark silver and yellow bottles
18qts - Edge 5w40 - Kia Optima 2.0T
15qts - PUP 0w40 SRT - Tundra 4.7 1UZ-FE
15qts - PP 5w30 Silver bottle

Last edited:
That’s a tough call. That PUP is pretty good oil. You have quite a haul there. For the new CX-9, I would use one of the new dexos Gen2 oils. Most brands have them now.

As PimTac mentions, that is a tough call. The 2.5T may have no LSPI issues but it's just to early to tell. Being such a large vehicle with a proportionately small displacement DIT, i would go with a dexos1Gen2 moving foward. Congrats on vehicle, they're strikingly handsome and should give many miles of reliable motoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back