Simple Tire. Are they good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i been getting my tires from discount for many years. i have tried tire rack in the past and it seemed more hassle than it was worth . finding a installer that was priced ok was hard.

So is simple tire just like a tire rack ? what advantage would they offer than going to discount ?

I guess I really don't find any advantages with either of those sellers.
I have a really good and honest local shop that can install my tires for the same cost.
Plus, since I bought the tires from them they give me free rotations.
They also only charge $15 per tire to switch out winter tires since I bought them there too.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
....So is simple tire just like a tire rack ?

No. TR shipping costs are the same for the customer no matter where the tires are shipped. If one has TR warehouse nearby can pick them up with no shipping charges. And TR has increased the number of warehouses.

Otoh, apparently ST shipping charges are variable depending on where tires delivered. Lowest cost to an ST "preferred" installer as shown in link.

https://simpletire.com/tire-shipping-and-installation

Fwiw, before the thread here several days ago, never heard of ST.

I used Tire Buyer. They shipped to my local AAA for free. Then with discount AAA mounted, balanced and installed them for $10 each.

I never heard of ST either.
There are at least 2 things you need to watch out for:

1) Customers seeking cheaper tires may be serviced by companies which offer "seconds". You gotta be careful.
2) You have to pick an installer which has a working balancer and employees who actually give a darn. You gotta be real careful.

To be frank: I went to their website for installers, typed in my zip code and 3 Pep Boys headed the list. That's not confidence instilling.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I used Tire Buyer. They shipped to my local AAA for free. Then with discount AAA mounted, balanced and installed them for $10 each.

I have used ST and Tire buyer in the past and had no issues. They tend to be cheaper and I use a local indy shop to have them put on. I would shop around for places that can put them on cheaply and use that. Walmart is also an option for cheap tires and cheap installation. Worth considering

I keep researching these sites, wanting to buy from them. But after shipping.. then I gotta transport 4 tires somewhere.. then mounting, balancing, removal costs, I see no deal. I end up in NTB, TFT, even the .. gulp.. stealership.. They are pretty much the same price after everything is done, and I don't loose time fooling with tires. I got other things to fool with on that beast without adding more work. lol

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I keep researching these sites, wanting to buy from them. But after shipping.. then I gotta transport 4 tires somewhere.. then mounting, balancing, removal costs, I see no deal. I end up in NTB, TFT, even the .. gulp.. stealership.. They are pretty much the same price after everything is done, and I don't loose time fooling with tires. I got other things to fool with on that beast without adding more work. lol

This!!!

ST sells tires they don't actually own and they get shipped from wherever. That is why you have mixed results. I have two sets from them and it worked out. Some orders i placed through them just got cancelled.

It pays if you change tires yourself. I have a Harbor Freight tire changer and my own 1952 Snap-On wheel balancer. For me it sometimes makes sense to buy online. Except lately I find that Costco can beat TireRack for the tires I want. For $10 more I can have 4 tires mounted, balanced, and disposal compared with doing it myself.

It's all about the "extras".

We used to buy online, mount with a Harbor Freight mast and go have 'em spun balanced for $5.

We'd cut up the old tires and bury them as fill in ever-ongoing earth moving projects.

If it gets more complicated than that.......Go to the store.

^^^ This. Just bought 2 sets of tires. Wanted to do Tire Rack but the prices were not that great when you factored in shipping and then dealing with finding an installer. Ended up ordering from WalMart. Same price, tax was the same as shipping, and they shipped to the store for free. I went in and they installed them for $12/tire. No mess, no fuss.

Even Costco is getting expensive, "requiring" the TPMS service kit ([censored]) and only stocking 2 manufacturer's tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WhyMe
i been getting my tires from discount for many years. i have tried tire rack in the past and it seemed more hassle than it was worth . finding a installer that was priced ok was hard.

So is simple tire just like a tire rack ? what advantage would they offer than going to discount ?

I can't speak about DT. I did just buy a set of Firestone Destinations from Simple Tire. I had them on my doorstep in 3 days (MN).

It was a flawless transaction....

Edit: No shipping costs for my purchase.

Last edited:
Shipping is factored into Discount Tires' price. You have to total everything including shipping to figure out your best deal.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Shipping is factored into Discount Tires' price. You have to total everything including shipping to figure out your best deal.

Yes, you do... it was the best deal on the 'net for these tires, at the time.

I needed tires as winter was coming.
Oops no money, so I had to use my Walmart card.
The only tires they stocked for my car were cheapos.
So I bought better tires on line at Walmart's site(quite a large selection) and had them shipped to the store.
I had to get them at the lay away counter and push the cart to the Auto service counter for the mount and balance which was $52.00.
All in all a good experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back