3M Foaming Salt Remover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should help get rid of those pesky salt stains on carpeted mats. Only $5.55 at Napa. I remember a thread where someone was asking the best way to get rid of the stains. Regular carpet cleaner doesn't seem to do that much to help. I haven't used it yet but will pick some up.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MMM39146

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Vinegar/water solution works pretty good.

I am surprised as they are both acidic in nature. I would have figured more base like baking soda. Either way 3M is an excellent brand of products and though I have not used it personally, I feel that it can probably do the job. I would recommend rinsing them with water afterwards and vacuum or something to suck out the moisture

I can't understand why you would need anything more than water to remove salt. All you need is a polar solution.

Why would you need vinegar? It's not as though salt needs to be neutralized. It's already neutral.

You've only parroted what the web site says. How does it keep the stain from returning? What does it do that simple dilution with water doesn't? What is the active ingredient?

BTW, I looked up the data sheet for the Napa product. It contains EDTA, which binds lime products so it can be removed. This suggests it is the lime, and not salt that stains the carpet white. That would also explain why dilute vinegar works.

Which was my experience as well. Too bad for you if the site says the same thing.

First you question vinegar, then change your tune.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I can't understand why you would need anything more than water to remove salt. All you need is a polar solution.

Why would you need vinegar? It's not as though salt needs to be neutralized. It's already neutral.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
That would also explain why dilute vinegar works.

when they say "salt" that's typically a colloquialism for road salt which although NaCl is the primary ingredient, has de-icer chlorides in the mix.
Also road salt is typically the unrefined rocks, so contains a high amount of other minerals that are naturally occurring.

Last edited:
Until you mentioned "road salt" I was wondering how so much salt was being tracked in on the carpet. I'd try the NAPA product since it has a focused application.

This is why I have a set of rubber WeatherTech matts for the winter. Plus they stay pliable when it freezes and stay put. Winter is just to hard on carpet around here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back