Christmas shopping days to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our family has given up Christmas shopping. We all get together for a nice meal and enjoy the 2 days off and that's it.

^^ THIS ^^

When a gift is involved I recommend "consumables" like a pound (or 10) of coffee beans OR a gift certificate from a local business (cleaning service, lawn service, local car wash)

I know, I know if I don't give gold and diamonds BITOGers will call me a cheap hippie (or whatever else you can come up with).

Think about keeping your spent money local. No other entity in the world cares about local economy so it's up to us.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Our family has given up Christmas shopping. We all get together for a nice meal and enjoy the 2 days off and that's it.
Originally Posted By: Kira
^^ THIS ^^

When a gift is involved I recommend "consumables" like a pound (or 10) of coffee beans OR a gift certificate from a local business (cleaning service, lawn service, local car wash)

I know, I know if I don't give gold and diamonds BITOGers will call me a cheap hippie (or whatever else you can come up with).

Think about keeping your spent money local. No other entity in the world cares about local economy so it's up to us.

I agree with Kira in that I don't mind giving or getting a few consumables(food, soap,etc) for presents....

But

Has Christmas really been degraded so much that it is just a "meal and a few days off from work"

That is so SAD.....

Last edited:
No I still get the odd gift here/there, what I'm saying is we don't spend thousands of dollars and make a big fuss in a consumerist way. Simple gestures and that's it.

I would be fine with no consumables and just a meal with family though.
wink.gif

We do get heavily loaded, eat lots of Christmas baking, wear ugly sweaters and watch Christmas movies. Hahahahaha There is still fun!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
^^ THIS ^^

Right on. People have forgotten what the REAL meaning of Christmas is.

Those things are a pain in the .... reminders to shop, shop, and if it isn't bad enough it isn't even Halloween. I waiting for these thing to come out before the 4th of July.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Those things are a pain in the .... reminders to shop, shop, and if it isn't bad enough it isn't even Halloween. I waiting for these thing to come out before the 4th of July.

They had Halloween stuff out in August at my Lowes so I don't think they are that far off.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My wife and I are Jewish, but we exchange gifts for Xmas.
I have friends that are Jewish and they get a Chanuka bush! Not a Christmas tree but a Chanuka bush. I got to wear a yarmulke when I was in their wedding.

Christmas shopping days to go for me ... zero. I've already bought everything I need, including gifts. Done.

I start Xmas shopping right on Boxing Day (the day after Christmas, for US readers ... kind of like a Black Friday, a national holiday in Canada and the UK, but shops are open, originally to "box" and exchange gifts) and fill my list as the year progresses, taking deals where I find them. I bought my 50" Samsung Plasma for $C 330 tax in on Boxing Day a few years ago [$US 267].

I used to do "Single Male Xmas Shopping" which is when you show up at the mall at 4:00 on Christmas Eve and try to fill the list before all the shopkeepers get drunk and close early. Usually involves some shopping at the drug store, maybe even the filling station or 7/11. But it worked for me and millions of other, poor planning males. If you are still in that mode, there is only ever 1 shopping day before Xmas, and it's months away still.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Instead of Merry Christmas it should be called Merry Corporation.

Isn't that the truth.

Quote:
I used to do "Single Male Xmas Shopping" which is when you show up at the mall at 4:00 on Christmas Eve and try to fill the list before all the shopkeepers get drunk and close early. Usually involves some shopping at the drug store, maybe even the filling station or 7/11. But it worked for me and millions of other, poor planning males. If you are still in that mode, there is only ever 1 shopping day before Xmas, and it's months away still.

Raises hands. ...but I usually give gifts like silver bars, bullion, candles(NOT YANKEE CANDLES) and a vitamix blender.

Way too early. But I usually do some shopping at "Gifts of the World". It's a nice shop run by the MCC that features hand crafted items from less fortunate areas of the world. "Fair Trade" coffee from South America, some nice smelling soap from India that comes in interesting, funky little boxes, hand made jewelry, maybe an inspirational type book and whatever else I can find.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Way too early. But I usually do some shopping at "Gifts of the World". It's a nice shop run by the MCC that features hand crafted items from less fortunate areas of the world. "Fair Trade" coffee from South America, some nice smelling soap from India that comes in interesting, funky little boxes, hand made jewelry, maybe an inspirational type book and whatever else I can find.

Interesting, do they have a website?

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: Rick in PA

Interesting, do they have a website?

My brain called up the store's old name. They go by "Ten Thousand Villages" now. I did find a web site: https://www.tenthousandvillages.com/ Looks like the web site offers mostly higher end stuff, but the soaps are under Bath + Body. There's a store locator on the web site. I enjoy browsing the store occasionally, it's curious and different. Oh, and they have really good chocolate bars at the stores, very rich and flavorful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back