Replacing Bump stops - why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would I replace a bump stop on the 06 Escalade? What does it do? Will it reduce body roll? Make the truck take bumps better?

I had top replace them on my 2005 2500HD just recently. They prevent the suspension from traveling too far in compression , without them you run the risk of damaging the shock.

Its for when the suspension bottoms out. if you dont have bump stops in good condition you can have suspension damage.. esp shock/strut damage

The only reason you should have to replace one is if it is cracked or missing. If it looks to be in good shape I would see no reason to replace it.

It’s what stops your tires from going into the tops of your fenders on really big bumps.

If you aren’t jumping your Escalade off of ramps, they aren’t really going to do anything.

Not going to do anything for body roll.

It's a limit on shock or strut travel. Although most people are unaware of it, your vehicle's suspension is hitting the bump stop regularly in daily driving. Its a hard disk or cone of synthetic rubber; it gets banged on regularly, and takes a beating but keeps on ticking. If it gets cut or deformed, it no longer does it's job, suspension travel can increase beyond what the shocks / struts are designed to handle, and if they fall out completely, now everything is banging against the metal where the bump stop used to be.

They are inexpensive, or should be, so replacing them should not be a big deal. Check condition when you do shocks / struts.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
They are inexpensive, or should be, so replacing them should not be a big deal. Check condition when you do shocks / struts.

The ones on my Asian cars were fine when I replaced the struts and shocks, but in typical fashion the BMW ones were shot. One was missing completely and the other one easily tore off when I tried.

If it's damaged, replace. I didn't know how bad mine was until one day I noticed a loud and noticeably hard "bump" when driving over the railroad track on my way to work. At first I thought I had hit a pothole but then noticed it the next trip the next day. Looked under the car and noticed the bump stop was badly damaged.

Replaced it and no more noise.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
It’s what stops your tires from going into the tops of your fenders on really big bumps.

If you aren’t jumping your Escalade off of ramps, they aren’t really going to do anything.

Not going to do anything for body roll.

I read in various places the bump stops help with body roll. For example.. https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspens...eid=20061007097

Kind of makes sense I guess. When you corner, your pushing on the swaybar and the bump stop. Wonder if they will also insulate the road to some extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back