Oil choice for S350d

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been looking at the Specs in the handbook for the 2016 S350d and thought i would post for somw feedback/opinion

My only priority is engine longevity. I have no interest in trying to improve economy.

I was thinking a 5w40 or 10w40 off the top of my head.

Maybe Shell Rimula R6 10w40.

It does seem there is a huge amount of specs which are deemed suitable.

Vehicle has a DPF and AdBlue

Last edited:
Based on the reference to 4Matic, "MB" approvals and the model number I'm guessing it's a Mercedes S350d (diesel).

I'd personally run a 0W40 or a 5w40 like you mentioned, and as long as it has the MB approvals, you're good to go. I guess in general, I'd go for a 40 weight. I'm not familiar with MB approvals and availability in your area, but I'd probably run M1 ESP 0W40 in the US, which I believe is 229.31 approved.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Based on the reference to 4Matic, "MB" approvals and the model number I'm guessing it's a Mercedes S350d (diesel).

I'd personally run a 0W40 or a 5w40 like you mentioned, and as long as it has the MB approvals, you're good to go. I guess in general, I'd go for a 40 weight. I'm not familiar with MB approvals and availability in your area, but I'd probably run M1 ESP 0W40 in the US, which I believe is 229.31 approved.

I'd use an oil on MB's approved list. Your car calls for MB 229.52, but 229.51 will also work. The 229.52 is the newer spec though and is better than 229.51. Only comes in 0w30 or 5w30.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.52_en.html

Originally Posted By: bigjl
My only priority is engine longevity.

Well in that case the choice is obvious. MaxLife.

Use it exclusively and if you end up not getting the maximum life out of the engine, you can sue them for false advertising.

Maxlife? Who makes that? The OP lives in the UK. We need to stop recommending USA-only oils to people outside N. America
Because the 2016 has a DPF a low SAPS oil is a necessity. Rimula R6 LM is ACEA E6 (ash
Charlie

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
They have MaxLife in the UK. But you may have missed the less obvious point of my reply.

Who knows if they have the same warranty in the UK? Plus if it's the wrong oil for that engine, what do you do when they deny the claim? For that matter, the engine might run fine and just cause various other problems to other subsystems by using the wrong oil. Then you might get those claims denied by the manufacturer because the wrong oil was used. And it's an S class so he might not even have it that long.

Thanks for the replies.

I think a 10w40 or 5w40 will be shortlisted.

Oil change won't be far away

Have done over 2000 miles already.

Thanks for the replies.

I think a 10w40 or 5w40 will be shortlisted.

Oil change won't be far away

Have done over 2000 miles already.

You won't find a 10w40 on the 229.51 list, but there are a few 5w40's.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.51_en.html

I'd at least use a 229.51 oil. The 229.52 are preferred now, but those only come in 0w30 or 5w30.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am going to get on the laptop later today, after the OtoGPvRaces.

And have a really good.look at the various specs

I am still a little surprised at the number of different Specs listed by Mercedes in the Handbook.

I really want to try a HDEO, the idea seems to have popped in my head and has got stuck😀

I suspect you are correct in that a 5w40 is likely the best idea.

There are some Mobil Delvac oils that pop up on the Mobil lubesearch.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am going to get on the laptop later today, after the OtoGPvRaces.

And have a really good.look at the various specs

I am still a little surprised at the number of different Specs listed by Mercedes in the Handbook.

I really want to try a HDEO, the idea seems to have popped in my head and has got stuck😀

I suspect you are correct in that a 5w40 is likely the best idea.

There are some Mobil Delvac oils that pop up on the Mobil lubesearch.

I don't think those oils are on the approved list. I think if you go to Mobil's site, it will tell you which oils will work for your car and I doubt if any of those will pop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back