Mobil1 0w20 EP, 9924 miles, 2010 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
2010_Civic.jpg

Blackstone commented on the iron level, which actually seems consistent with the first and last samples here adjusting for the miles on the oil. What I don't understand is how the viscosity on this sample is so much higher than the other two. All three samples are Mobil 1 0w20 EP.

I don't know why but, Mobil 1 synthetic oils seem to produce high(er) iron levels than some(SOME) other oils. Not saying that M1 oils are bad, they're not, In fact, they're great oils. However, most Honda engine usually show low iron levels and low PPM levels in all/most other measurable categories.

Maybe switch brands ??? :\ IDK!

Last edited:
Some time back we had determined that this was most likely just a reacting with the additive package and the Iron in the engine which was harmless. There were lots of folks with high mileage engines that had used Mobil 1 their whole lives.

I think given the miles and the additive package this is all it is.

A great report IMO.

Ask and see if they'll reperform the viscosity measurement. Haven't they done so in the past, if enough sample remains?

I can't imagine the cause is oxidative thickening after only 10k miles.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Oil is toast exhibiting significant Oxidative thickening. Rec to Back off OCi to 8000-8500 miles. Also recommend ...

Valvoline 0w20
smile.gif

You are kidding about the oil showing significant oxidizing, aren't you? Did you notice the vis is squarely in the vis range for this oil?

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Looks like 5k is a good OCI for you.

How so? Looks like at least(likely more) a 10K OCI or even more to me. Remember the acceptable limit for iron is 150 PPM.

Last edited:
State one thing that will go wrong with his engine if he changes the oil at 5k, as opposed to 10k.

His wallet is unnecessarily lighter.
lol.gif

Last edited:
State one thing that will go wrong with his engine if he changes the oil at 5k, as opposed to 10k.

What one thing will a 3K OCI cause to go wrong? Engine life will not change with 3-5-10K OCIs with this oil in a Honda engine.

Originally Posted By: tig1

What one thing will a 3K OCI cause to go wrong? Engine life will not change with 3-5-10K OCIs with this oil in a Honda engine.

Show me the data.

Hmm, iron is up but silicon is up 3 X the previous sample. Silicon (assuming it is dirt) causes wear in engines (iron) , maybe something related to the air intake this time?

You are kidding about the oil showing significant oxidizing, aren't you? Did you notice the vis is squarely in the vis range for this oil?

I am still wondering why this sample is so much different that the prior two. If this is supposed to be a 15K oil then why would it show significant oxidation after only 10K miles?

There's been a dramatic change in the driving pattern of this vehicle recently such that it runs 550 highway miles per week. At that rate it will accrue 10K miles in 18 weeks. It might be a good candidate for Mobil 1 AP.

OP - nice report - keep doing what you're doing. I like the .49 qt make up oil - what, no 3rd decimal?
smile.gif

@bigj_16 - Tig has all the data he needs with his own car - 213k miles with 10k changes. 5k changes with M1 would be a waste of money IMO unless you were racing with it. Even SuperTech dino will do 5k changes in a Civic without worry.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigt61
OP - nice report - keep doing what you're doing. I like the .49 qt make up oil - what, no 3rd decimal?
smile.gif

Yeah - I got a chuckle out of that myself. I reported using < 0.5 qts. of make up oil, so I guess 0.49 was the lab tech's best interpretation.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Oil is toast exhibiting significant Oxidative thickening. Rec to Back off OCi to 8000-8500 miles. Also recommend ...

Valvoline 0w20
smile.gif

Look at the other two samples with lower OCI. Vis was sheared VM below 7cSt, this sample is almost 8 cSt. Plus TBN retention doesn't show the AW/EP is used up. And of course OCI don't show "rubbing, fretting" wear, only chemical etch and used EP fallout. That's in the filter. engine will be fine but I wouldn't run this 15K with the OP driving pattern.

Did this oil go across a Winter season?

Last edited:
It went across a couple months of winter looking at the data from the previous OCI endpoint.

Thank You.

Aren't split personalities wonderful?

(For some, but not he outsiders, he, he, he ... )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back