Whole house filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any of you guys have whole house filters and a well?

I have a well and I have to change my house filter every 2 weeks or so. It's been a year since I built it and the filters still get pretty muddy after 2-3 weeks.

I was using the 5 micron ones that also filtered chlorine, but since I have a well, I didn't really need that. Those would get stuffed and reduce flow pressure.

I since changed to the 30 micron filters. They don't reduce pressure but water becomes smelly if I let them get too dirty. I still replace them every 2-3 weeks.

I had one but after 2 years of use it stayed disconnected. WAY too much work. Causes pressure issues, clogs fast, etc. 15 years later, no flow issues around the house. Washer and shower heads ok. Hot water heater meets avg life expectancy. No ring around the toilet bowl but the inside where the float resides is muddy. So I guess it doesn't build up in high flow areas like the pipes as I had feared.

I have a well and use a whole house filter system. I use a Big Blue 10 with a Pentek sediment filter followed by a Big Blue 20 with Pentek GAC filter. I change them every six months. No noticeable change in water pressure with a 6 month change interval. My water is great.

In my previous house that had a well, we had a large filter that looked like a oxygen cylinder only it was fiberglass. Inside was a media that the water had to pass through. This media was fine stones. I forget the brand at the moment but I believe Culligan has similar products.

It was on a timer. During the night it performed a blackflush to clean the media. Each year our well driller came out and performed maintenance including dumping and cleaning inside the tank. If necessary, there was some media replenished.

We had high iron in our water that stained everything. This filter took care of that problem. The system pretty much took care of itself.

I have a private well at my house and I had a whole house filter. No water problems but just wanted to filter it.

I quit using it as after two weeks of a new filter the water would start to smell. No smell before the filter was installed. Guess it caused the bacteria to build up.

Maybe try your water without the filters now? We ran an iron/particle filter for the first couple months using our well, as we were pulling up sand sometimes and we were getting mild iron staining. But after a few months it seemed to clean up and we just removed the filters, as they seemed to be made to smell wether they filter anything or not. The iron also disappeared when we put in our water softener.
We were also running a 3/4" hose right off the pressure tank which makes the well produce fast and perhaps cleaned out most of the sediment that way. Maybe try that, run the well as fast as you can and as low as you dare to clean the sediment out in one go?

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Have you had your water analyzed?

Yes, here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back