Discount Tire- no more pro-rated road hazard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings-

Previously, Discount Tire/America's Tire included free pro-rated road hazard with each tire they sold. The replacement certificates were sold as an "upgrade."

I am in the market for new tires and noticed that the new Discount Tire/America's Tire website no longer mentions pro-rated road hazard to be included.

Example: https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/michelin-premier-a-s/p/19618
Also: https://www.americastire.com/customer-service/certificates

Can anyone confirm that this is correct? Based on what I am seeing, it appears that you may need to purchase their "certificates" in order to get any road hazard coverage at all?

Thanks.

I've bought several sets of tires from DT over the years. As I recall..the road hazard deal was always an up-sell. Never heard they offered a "free" pro-rated road hazard.

After my daughter drove around on a flat tire in an Audi Quattro the road hazard up-sell was a very good idea. DT replaced all four tires.

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
I've bought several sets of tires from DT over the years. As I recall..the road hazard deal was always an up-sell. Never heard they offered a "free" pro-rated road hazard.

The upsell is the replacement certificates. The pro-rated road hazard is different and is free. I've used the free road hazard coverage recently.

I asked myself why bother with getting certificates if they prorate them anyways. So now if I come back 4 days later with a nail In a spot that can't be fixed, then they won't give me a new 200 dollar tire for 30 bucks?

Wife recently ran over something at highway speed … before she could get shut down the tire rode the rim …
A mom and pop plugged it roadside … I went to DT … very young guy pulled it off … took the liberty to put it right back on with no discussion. … said we are done … no claim. I told them to pull it off and sell me a replacement …
I have bought their little set of four money maker certificates for years … multiple vehicles …

I have had three tires on two different vehicles destroyed and DT (via certificate) replaced them with new ones no questions asked. All of them were 20" tires and so the certificates have paid for themselves and then some. YMMV!

Have not found America's Tire Company certificates to save money. Only a three year limit. Have not had that many not repairable tire failures within 3 yrs. I tend to not wear out tires until much longer than three years so many years are not covered by certificates anyway.
Your mileage may vary.
"If a tire covered by the Certificate for Refund, Repair or Replacement fails due to a defect or a non repairable road hazard, and still has legal tread (3/32") remaining across the tire, and it has been in use less than 3 years from date of purchase, America's Tire will give a refund of the full purchase price, together with the applicable sales tax and give you the option to purchase the same new or comparable tire at the refund price, with the payment of any applicable sales tax. There is no prorating, no disqualification for any reason such as run-on damage and no mileage adjustment. It is the very best tire certificate program we know of."
https://www.americastire.com/customer-service/certificates

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Wife recently ran over something at highway speed … before she could get shut down the tire rode the rim …
A mom and pop plugged it roadside … I went to DT … very young guy pulled it off … took the liberty to put it right back on with no discussion. … said we are done … no claim. I told them to pull it off and sell me a replacement …
I have bought their little set of four money maker certificates for years … multiple vehicles …

And they can’t balance very good so I wind up going to Goodyear for that …
Couple years ago they snapped off my lugs and sent me (driving it) way across town and a bad neighborhood to get it done cheap … one look and I drove back and to the dealership right across from DT … they fixed it in minutes and I made the manager pay me back what his ghetto mechanic would have charged …
This is the only store a reasonable distance and it surely not DT’s crown jewel …

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
It's listed here:
https://www.discounttire.com/customer-service/return-policy

Quote:
Every tire we sell comes with a FREE pro-rated road hazard warranty, as well as a manufacturer’s limited warranty. We also offer our Certificate for Repair, Refund, or Replacement program. Learn more about our Certificate program.

Thanks for finding this- they really hid this very well.

Originally Posted By: thrace
Have not found America's Tire Company certificates to save money. Only a three year limit. Have not had that many not repairable tire failures within 3 yrs. I tend to not wear out tires until much longer than three years so many years are not covered by certificates anyway.
Your mileage may vary.
"If a tire covered by the Certificate for Refund, Repair or Replacement fails due to a defect or a non repairable road hazard, and still has legal tread (3/32") remaining across the tire, and it has been in use less than 3 years from date of purchase, America's Tire will give a refund of the full purchase price, together with the applicable sales tax and give you the option to purchase the same new or comparable tire at the refund price, with the payment of any applicable sales tax. There is no prorating, no disqualification for any reason such as run-on damage and no mileage adjustment. It is the very best tire certificate program we know of."
https://www.americastire.com/customer-service/certificates

My experience has been that America’s Tire usually does not enforce the 3 yr time limit, but you do bring up a good point.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
It's listed here:
https://www.discounttire.com/customer-service/return-policy

Quote:
Every tire we sell comes with a FREE pro-rated road hazard warranty, as well as a manufacturer’s limited warranty. We also offer our Certificate for Repair, Refund, or Replacement program. Learn more about our Certificate program.

Thanks for posting this. Though I don't think DT goes out of their way to advertise it, I've even used this twice on factory tires on two different vehicle. One just within the last year, got a puncture and then flat. Just had to ask, quick call to GY in this case on I was given a very fair prorated price on a new tire. First time with puncture in non repairable area, store rep went out of his way to call Michelin for prorated price on a BFG.

I've only purchased the CERTS once, and that was when I couldn't wait for a promotional period, so used it as part of the negotiation of total price. Ended up using it too. Though I've never tested it, I too have been told they are not sticklers for the 3 year limit time frame. One thing to note, in addition to tire disposal fee if you want the cert on the replacement tire, you must pay for it.

I had a huge screw in a rear tire on my old mustang that was relatively new. Dropped it off at discount tire, quoted $200, because it couldn't be patched. Went and ran some errands, came back after a couple hours and they said sign the screen, total said $0. Manager gave me some business cards and said tell your friends. Have had two others replaced since there for same issue. Paid $16 each for those other two.

I always get a screw in the no repair area. It seems that area keeps getting larger and larger. Iirc its a thumb width or 1/2" usually it will be right on the outer big line in the tread if that makes sense, which is usually an 1" from the edge and they still say no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, all tires purchased at Discount Tire come with free prorated road hazard protection. This means you get credit toward new tires if you need them replaced due to road hazards. The amount you get for replacement is based on the treadwear of your old tires.

Well, all tires purchased at Discount Tire come with free prorated road hazard protection. This means you get credit toward new tires if you need them replaced due to road hazards. The amount you get for replacement is based on the treadwear of your old tires.
Correct, they just stop advertising it in the same manner that they once did.

Hold on - I recently bought tires there and paid for the certificates - so this is different?

Hold on - I recently bought tires there and paid for the certificates - so this is different?
In the event of an unrepairable flat, certificates will result in Discount Tire replacing the damaged tire without a pro-rate fee; you are typically responsible for the cost of the certificate for the new tire. There is supposed to be an expiration date for the certificates but I have never seen this enforced.

If you did not purchase the certificates you would be responsible for a pro-rated charge (based on the amount of tread used).

In the event of an unrepairable flat, certificates will result in Discount Tire replacing the damaged tire without a pro-rate fee; you are typically responsible for the cost of the certificate for the new tire. There is supposed to be an expiration date for the certificates but I have never seen this enforced.

If you did not purchase the certificates you would be responsible for a pro-rated charge (based on the amount of tread used).
Ah! Ok, thank you for clarifying. So I get 100%/free tires and for that I paid $25 a tire or so I believe vs. the included road hazard which is only pro-rated. Makes sense now.

Ah! Ok, thank you for clarifying. So I get 100%/free tires and for that I paid $25 a tire or so I believe vs. the included road hazard which is only pro-rated. Makes sense now.
IME, the rule of thumb is to buy the certs (which are usually offered at a buy 3, get 1 free deal) if you tend to average 2 or more unrepairable punctures over the life of a set of tires. If you average 1 (or less), then the economics do not make any sense.

Most people fall into the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back